Grassfield High School
|Grassfield High School|
2007 Grizzly Trail|
Chesapeake, Virginia 23323
|School type||Public, High School|
|School district||Chesapeake City Public Schools|
Mrs. Carolyn Bernard (2007-2013)Mr. Mike Perez (2013-Current)
|Campus||100-acre (0.40 km2) Suburban|
|Color(s)||Red, White, and Navy Blue|
Virginia High School League|
AAA Eastern Region
|Mascot||Grizzlies, Mr. Griz|
Great Bridge High School|
Hickory High SchoolDeep Creek High School
Cedar Road Elementary School|
Hickory Elementary School
Deep Creek Central Elementary School
Grassfield Elementary School
Great Bridge Middle School
Hickory Middle School
Hugo A. Owens Middle School
Grassfield High School is a public high school located in Chesapeake, Virginia, USA, and is administered by Chesapeake City Public Schools. It was built to ease overcrowding at Deep Creek High School, Great Bridge High School, and Hickory High School. Grassfield, along with Western Branch High School and Oscar Smith High School, features the latest technology available in the school district.
- Fall - Cheerleading, Boys and Girls Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Boys and Girls Golf, Boys and Girls Volleyball, Marching Band
- Winter - Boys and Girls Basketball, Cheerleading, Gymnastics, Boys and Girls Indoor Track, Boys and Girls Swimming and Diving, Wrestling, Winter Guard, and Crew (rowing)
- Spring - Baseball, Boys and Girls Tennis, Boys and Girls Soccer, Softball, Boys Lacrosse, and Boys and Girls Outdoor Track
In November 2007 Grassfield held a home run derby to raise money for their athletic teams. It included B.J. Upton, Justin Upton, Ryan Zimmerman, David Wright, Michael Cuddyer, and Mark Reynolds. The Girls Varsity Volleyball team made school history in their fall 2008 season by winning both the regular season and district tournament titles, and receiving the first district championship banner in the gym.
The football team is currently coached by Martin Asprey.
|2007||5||Eastern||Southeastern||1*||9||Did not qualify||Martin Asprey|
|2014||4||6||Did not qualify|
|2017||6A||3||7||Did not qualify|
During the 2017-2018 Grassfield Swim season the girls team secured a first place victory at regionals.
In February 2009 the Grassfield wrestling team secured 1st place for the regular season and won Southeastern District tournament title. During February, they finished 2nd in the Eastern Regional Tournament and 4th at the AAA state tournament. In 2009, the Grizzlies had 2 state champions: Caleb Richardson (now attending Cox High School starting the 2009-2010 school year) in the 103 lb (47 kg) class (The Grizzlies' 1st male state champion) and Andrew Clement in the 171 pounds (78 kg) class.
In its first year, the Grassfield High School Drama Department collected many awards for its performances. Some awards include Second place at the state level for VHSL Theatre competition, best actor awards and best ensemble from the Greek play "Medea". In their second year, The Grassfield Theater Company travelled to the VTA and got second place in the state, first in districts regionals and state for VHSL, winning two best actor awards and first place overall for their production of John Steinbeck's The Pearl. Grassfield has consistently held one of the top theatre departments in the region, winning 1st place in the VHSL Southeast District competition six years consecutively, and once the reorganization of VHSL, the theatre company has been the Conference 2 champion, regional champion in 2014, and garnered another VHSL State Championship for Region 6A in 2014 with their production of "King Midas and the Golden Touch".
The Varsity Singers of Grassfield High School received a rating of superior in their inaugural year, and are a participants in various other performances in Chesapeake and Southeastern Virginia. All three of Grassfield High School's choirs, the Varsity Singers, Chamber Singers, and Freshmen Choir all received a rating of superior in their second year of existence.
In their inaugural year, both the Grassfield High School Freshman and Upperclassmen Concert bands received superior ratings at VBODA District IV band festival. In their second year, the Freshman and Upperclassmen Concert bands received ratings of excellent, and the newly created Symphonic Band received a Superior rating. This gave Grassfield the title of Virginia All-State honors band, for receiving Superior ratings for their Marching and top-ranked Concert bands. 
- Cupitt, Tom (Spring 2007). "Grassfield High School on Target" (PDF). CPSchools.com. Retrieved February 26, 2009.
- Rita Frankenberry (September 1, 2006). "What makes Grassfield High School cool?". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved May 28, 2018.
- "Classification: 6A South". Virginia High School League. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Rich Radford (November 4, 2007). "Homegrown stars a hit at home run derby". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved May 28, 2018.
- John Streit (November 4, 2008). "Girls volleyball: Grassfield, Landstown cruise into region semis". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved May 28, 2018.
- Larry Rubama (October 24, 2007). "Nansemond River forfeits two football wins". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved May 28, 2018.
- John Streit (February 7, 2009). "Wrestling: Grassfield ends Great Bridge's Southeastern reign". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved May 28, 2018.
- "2009 Theatre State Competition". Chesapeake Public Schools. Retrieved March 27, 2009. Check date values in:
- Christy Barritt (April 11, 2008). "Grassfield High drama places 2nd in the state". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved May 28, 2018 2009. Check date values in:
- "A Note from the Director". Chesapeake Public Schools. Archived from the original on July 8, 2011. Retrieved February 24, 2009.
- "Concert Bands". Grassfield High School Bands. Archived from the original on December 4, 2008. Retrieved February 24, 2009.