|Siamak Taghaddos, Founder and CEO; David Hauser, Founder and Chief Technology Officer David Hauser|
|Products||Virtual Phone Services|
Number of employees
Grasshopper (Phone System) is a business that sells call forwarding and answering services to small businesses. Headquartered in Needham, Massachusetts, Grasshopper was started by Siamak Taghaddos and David Hauser in 2003. Grasshopper uses "Gary", a grasshopper cartoon, as a logo and mascot. Grasshopper is a private company owned by Grasshopper Group, LLC.
Grasshopper was created in 2003 by David Hauser and Siamak Taghaddos when they were students at Babson College in Wellesley, Massachusetts. As students of entrepreneurship, they wanted to create a phone system that would allow them to easily stay connected to customers and other business contacts. In 2002, Taghaddos wrote a business plan for a telecom company and caught the attention of David Hauser. The two would become business partners, with Taghaddos as CEO and Hauser as CTO.
The company was originally GotVMail but was rebranded in 2009 to Grasshopper. As part of the rebranding campaign, 25,000 chocolate-covered grasshoppers were sent to industry influencers and customers. A video called “Entrepreneurs Can Change The World” was released at the same time.
Other companies have arisen from Grasshopper such as Chargify, Spreadable (which was shut down in May 2011), PopSurvey, Temper.io, and Rejoiner.
As of April 2015 Citrix has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Grasshopper.
Headquarters and Culture
Grasshopper is headquartered in Needham, Massachusetts and has approximately 45 employees.
Products and Services
Grasshopper sells toll free numbers for the United States and Canada. Customers can choose from four plans (MAX, GROW, RAMP, and PAY AS YOU GROW). The phone system offers functionality that includes auto-attendants, custom main greetings, voicemail transcription, voicemail, call forwarding, outbound fax, on-hold music, and unlimited extensions.
National Entrepreneurs' Day
In 2011, Siamak Taghaddos and David Hauser began circulating a petition to create a National Entrepreneurs’ Day, which would be part of National Entrepreneurship Week, which occurs each year in November. In 2012 and 2013, President Barack Obama acknowledged this day, though it has not become an official American holiday.
In 2004, Siamak Taghaddos is featured in the Boston Business Journal's "40 Under 40."
In December 2003, David Hauser and Siamak Taghaddos are named the Best Entrepreneurs Under 25 by Businessweek.
In 2006, GotVMail receives 2006 Internet Telephony Excellence Award.
In 2007, GotVMail makes #66 on Inc.'s List of 500 Fastest Growing Private Companies.
In 2011, David Hauser and Siamak Taghaddos are included on Under30CEO’s list of 30 Most Influential Entrepreneurs of 2011.
In 2011, Siamak Taghaddos and David Hauser are featured on Inc. Magazine’s 30 Under 30 List.
- "Grasshopper CrunchBase profile". CrunchBase. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- Copeland, Dave (June 7, 2010). "Entrepreneurs: Can they bring prosperity?". Yje BoSTON gLOBE The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- Zimmerman, Eilene. "Siamak Taghaddos and David Hauser, Founders of Grasshopper". Inc. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- Fenn, Donna. "How to Rebrand Your Company Using Chocolate Covered Grasshoppers, Homeland Security, and Guy Kawasaki". CBSNews. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- McMahan, Ty (June 25, 2009). "How Chocolate Covered Grasshopper Inspired Entrepreneurs". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- Battles, Chris (April 7, 2015). "Citrix Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Grasshopper". Citrix. Retrieved 2015-04-07.
- "Grasshopper Pricing and Plans". Grasshopper. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- Bischke, Jon. "If We Have A Secretary’s Day, We Should Have An Entrepreneurs’ Day, Right? Now We Do.". TechCrunch. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- Barack, Obama. "Presidential Proclamation -- National Entrepreneurship Month, 2013". The White House. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- McCue, TJ (August 1, 2010). 22 Small Business Phone Services. Small Business Trends
- Austin, Scott (August 9, 2010). The Daily Start-Up: Which Company Will Be The Next Big Thing?. The Wall Street Journal
- Ellis, Matthew (February 11, 2010). 12 Useful Resources for Entrepreneurs. Fuel Your Venture
- Hamilton, Charles (August 27, 2009). Grasshopper: A Business Oriented Virtual Phone System. gigaom