Grassman is described as "a Bigfoot type creature" that is 7 feet tall, 300 pounds, and "leaves 3 toed tracks," according to reports from the territory around Cuyahoga Valley National Park "north of the Akron area."
Loren Coleman writes, "Outside of California, I don't know of another state that has as many 'Bigfoot' investigators." ... "one of the best cases issued from Minerva, Ohio ... in early July and August 1978.... [The sightings] began in ernest on August 21, 1978." He then quotes three pages of investigator Ron Shaffner's notes on the case. Because of the occasional "two-toned, multicolored hair pattern" found in creatures in this area, Coleman calls them "marked hominids," a term he prefers to "Eastern Bigfoot." He says they are "more human-looking and somewhat shorter than the classic Neo-Giant," such as the Patterson film Bigfoot.
Don Keating, one of those Bigfoot investigators, self-published a report of Bigfoot sighting and "hearing" reports, possible-track finds, reprinted newspaper stories about both, and a videotaping of an ambiguous white Bigfoot in an area within a 25-mile radius of Newcomerstown, Ohio in the mid-1980s and early 1990s. Some of the tracks had three or four toes; one of them looked like the Eric Shipton Yeti prints. (Keating has subsequently published a newsletter and organized Bigfoot conferences.)
Bigfoot Encounters in Ohio by Chris Murphy and others gives a complete rundown of Bigfoot incidents in the state, arranged by county and then by date. Footprints with 3 or 4 toes are noted on pages 47, 54, 65, 71, and 82.
- An episode of the History Channel's Monster Quest featured reports of the Grassman.
- Episodes of Destination America's Mountain Monsters and Monsters and Mysteries in America both featured the Grassman.
- The Grassman was featured twice during an episode of Mountain Monsters
- Loren Coleman (2007) . Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures. Paraview Pocket Books. pp. 200–04. ISBN 978-1-4165-2736-7.
- Joedy Cook (2010). Traces of the Grassman: The Search for the Ohio Bigfoot. PublishAmerica. ISBN 978-1448978533.
- —— (2011). Legend of the Grassman. Create Space (self-published). ISBN 978-1466388796.
- Don Keating (2001). The Sasquatch Triangle Revisited. self-published in Newcomerstown, OH.
- Christopher Murphy; Joedy Cook; George Clappison (2003). Bigfoot Encounters in Ohio: Quest for the Grassman. Hancock House. ISBN 978-0888396075.