|Canton||Les Coteaux de Moselle|
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Michel Torloting|
|5.66 km2 (2.19 sq mi)|
|• Density||150/km2 (380/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||221–325 m (725–1,066 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Gravelotte (French pronunciation: [ɡʁavlɔt]; German: Gravelotte) is a commune in the Moselle department in Grand Est in north-eastern France, 11 km west of Metz. It is part of the functional area (aire d'attraction) of Metz. Its population is 827 (2019).
Gravelotte is located between Metz and the former French-German frontier, as it was between 1870 and 1918. It was famous as the scene of the battle of 18 August 1870 between the Germans under King William of Prussia and the French under Marshal Bazaine. The battlefield extends from the woods which border the Moselle above Metz to Roncourt, near the river Orne. Other villages which played an important part in the battle of Gravelotte were Saint-Privat, Amanvillers and Sainte-Marie-aux-Chênes, all lying to the north of Gravelotte.
Between 1940 and 1944, as in the rest of the annexed Moselle, many young people, who were forcibly enlisted into the German army, were sent to the Eastern Front, some of them never returned. The commune was liberated by General Patton's troops in 1944, during the battle of Metz.
Military sites and buildings
- Military cemetery: nearly 8,000 people are buried there.
- Musée de la Guerre de 1870 et de l'Annexion : a museum dedicated to the Franco-Prussian War and the annexation of Alsace-Lorraine.
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020.
- "Populations légales 2019". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 29 December 2021.
- Commune de Gravelotte (57256)
- Populations légales 2019: 57 Moselle, INSEE
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. Vol. 12 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 383. .
- Caboz, René (1984). La bataille de Metz : 25 août-15 septembre 1944. [Sarreguemines]: Pierron. ISBN 2-7085-0022-8. OCLC 12969394.