Gravity (Westlife album)
|Studio album by Westlife|
|Released||22 November 2010|
|Recorded||July – October 2010;
Henson Recording Studios
(Hollywood, Los Angeles)
(St John's Wood, London)
|Genre||Pop, pop rock, dance-pop|
|Label||Syco, Sony, RCA|
|Singles from Gravity|
Gravity is the tenth and final studio album by the Irish pop band Westlife. It was released on 22 November 2010 in the United Kingdom. John Shanks produced each song, barring the bonus track on the Japanese edition. The album was preceded by the lead single, "Safe", which was released at 14 November 2010. This is also the group's final album under Syco Music; Syco decided that there will be no second single from the album, which was one reason the group left Syco in March 2011. As of November 2011, the album had sold 358,943 in the UK.
Background, concept, and development
On 19 July 2010, it was reported by RTÉ that the group will be teaming up with Shanks. A Westlife insider said: "It's a major coup for Westlife to get this producer - he's produced all the big acts from Bon Jovi to the Backstreet Boys and Take That. "They wanted him for their last album but weren't able to get him. They're thrilled that he's agreed to work with them on this album." It also stated that the recording process started in July 2010. The band also confirmed the album's recording and mixing was finished in October 2010. They recorded the songs in Los Angeles, California, Dublin, Ireland, and London, England. On 17 September 2010, Egan flashed that the first single for the album was already picked by Cowell and a 30-second snippet was played on X Factor UK. Afterwards, Feehily initiated the #westlife11album and #westlifeSAFE as a trending topic on Twitter which was followed by others worldwide to be a top trending topic.
The album was released on 15 November 2010. In addition, Egan fully expressed what he felt on during recording Gravity: "It’s hard to believe this is our 11th album but performing is our passion and it would seem like throwing it all away if we stopped."“Both us and Take That go for epic pop songs but them taking Robbie back hasn’t made us think about Brian McFadden returning. It would feel odd to have a fifth person back on stage with us". In addition Westlife told Digital Spy: "We'd wanted to work with him for a long time, but all his loyalty was to Take That and he didn't want to work with another boyband," "We'd been asking him and asking, but literally within moments of Take That deciding to go and work with Stuart Price, he said yes to us straight away. Afterwards he said he'd wanted to work with us for a long time, but he just couldn't do the Take That thing and the Westlife thing because they were too close." "John created a sound for us in the same way he created a sound for Take That, a sound for Bon Jovi and a sound for all the other incredible artists he's worked with," "He created a sound for Westlife that we haven't had before - it's not a massive departure, but it's definitely a step up in terms of production." Filan also revealed that the group is currently in the process of selecting 12 or 13 songs for the album's final track listing from a pool of 16, with all but "one or two" likely to be originals. On 22 October 2010, Shanks stated that they have finished the Westlife record, all approved by Cowell. Shanks stated that the album ended up with two covers in it. On 27 October 2010, the album main release date was changed to 22 November 2010. On 25 October 2010, Feehily unveiled the final track listing on his official Twitter page as follows: On 1 November 2010, Mark confirmed the two cover songs on the album are, "Chances" by Athlete and "The Reason" by Hoobastank. In the November 2010 issue of Hello Magazine they told them about their competition with Take That and Walsh and Cowell's involvement in the album, "You need competition to keep you on your toes".
On 2 November 2010, the 30 second snippet of each songs from the album were posted on Amazon.co.uk. On 5 November 2010, In Demand FM played exclusively the full track of "Beautiful Tonight" with an interview of the band. On 7 November 2010, they performed "I Will Reach You" on BBC Radio 2. On 14 November 2010, RTÉ 2fm exclusively played "I Will Reach You", "The Reason", and "I Get Weak" from the album for the first time worldwide.
In an interview with AOL Music UK, Westlife described the creative process of the album as "breath of fresh air". "It's a new beginning for Westlife" is how singer Shane Filan described working with legendary pop producer John Shanks.
Album name and artwork
The album cover was first displayed on the music record sites as "Westlife" with black background and white-colored lettering. On 22 October 2010, they released an exclusive video of the album photo shoot to the press and on their official sites. The official photographer of the shoot was Kevin McDaid and Feehily as the creative director. They decided to go for a chic black and white design and in the pics, the band are all dressed down in jeans and T-shirts. "Mark, Kian, Nicky and Shane stand separately in a line facing the camera on the Gravity front cover, with Shane leaning cheekily on Nicky's shoulder,"
On 13 October 2010, they announced the album title Gravity and trended worldwide on Twitter as #westlifegravity after the announcement. Band member Mark Feehily adopted the album title suggested by a fan and confirmed it on his Twitter account first. Redcorvette09 or Fiona Reynoldson, the chosen fan explains
"Gravity" from the Safe lyrics. Maybe it's a dedication to your partners and how they've kept you grounded...or maybe about the music always drawing you back in for another album! Could have several meanings."
Egan said to the press people that the band will give something special to the chosen fan but it was yet undecided.
|25 October 2010; 11:00||111 Broad Street, Birmingham||Heart FM||Pre-recorded interview for Heart Breakfast|
|25 October 2010; 11:00||4 Oozells Square, Birmingham||BRMB||Pre-recorded interviews for BRMB Breakfast Show, Mercia Breakfast, Wyvern Breakfast, Beacon Breakfast and Heart Nottingham|
|25 October 2010; 15:30||Stoke Road, Stoke-On-Trent||Signal Radio||Pre-recorded interviews for UTV Network and The Wave (Swansea)|
|26 October 2010; 07:50||Castlefield Quay, Manchester||Key 103||Live interviews with Key 103 (08.00) and Radio City (09.00) and pre-recorded interviews for Aire FM, Viking FM, Rock FM and Hallam FM|
|26 October 2010; 10:50||Waterfront Quay, Salford||Real Radio||Pre-recorded interview for Real Breakfast Show, Real Radio Wales, Real Radio NE, Real Radio Yorkshire, Network Special and Networked Evening Show|
|26 October 2010; 15:00||Castlefield Quay, Manchester||Key 103||Pre-recorded In Demand Special - Westlife on Westlife|
|27 October 2010; 10:00||Forth Road, Edinburgh||Radio Forth||Pre-recorded interview for Radio Forth Breakfast Show|
|27 October 2010; 12:00||Glasgow Business Park, Glasgow||Real Radio||Live interview for Real Radio|
|27 October 2010; 14:45||Clydebank Business Park, Glasgow||Radio Clyde||Pre-recorded interview for in Demand (networked evening show)|
|27 October 2010; 16:00||Pacific Quay, Glasgow||STV||Live interview with The Hour Show|
|5 November 2010||England||In:Demand FM|
|6 November 2010||England||The Crush on 4Music|
|7 November 2010||England||Weekend Wogan|
|8 November 2010||England||Pride of Britain Awards|
|9 November 2010||England||Daybreak|
|11 November 2010||England||The Crush on Channel 4|
|14 November 2010||London, England||The X Factor||Exclusive performance of "Safe"|
|14 November 2010||London, England||The Xtra Factor|
|15 November 2010||London, England||Lorraine|
|17 November 2010||London, England||The Alan Titchmarsh Show|
|19 November 2010||Belfast, Northern Ireland||Children in Need|
|3 December 2010||Dublin, Republic of Ireland||The Late Late Show|
|18 December 2010||Dublin, Republic of Ireland||Childline|
"Safe" was the lead single from the album, released on 14 November in the UK. Their debut performance of the track was on the X Factor the day or release. It peaked at No. 10 in its first week consequently making it their lowest charting lead single to date in the UK, as well as their lowest sales for a lead single.
"Beautiful Tonight" was confirmed as the follow-up single on the third week of January through the Daily Star. The release date is yet to be announced. They stated, "You can imagine our next single Beautiful Tonight being played in a club. Yes, it’s that different to what we usually release. John Shanks wrote it and it’s up-tempo and will open a few eyes and ears. People who don’t usually like Westlife might like it and hopefully people who do like us won’t not like it. It’s young, fresh and exciting so we feel brilliant about it coming out. When they first hear it, some people might go: "Whoa, who is that?” and that’s why we wanted it as our first song on the album. It’d be cool to get a couple of good dance remixes off it but we won’t be coming up with a dance routine for it on tour, except for maybe a few clicks and putting one foot in front of the other. The song reminds us of the early days when we put out "World of Our Own". The song was performed live on Irish national television show Paul O'Grady Show. After that, the track peaked at the top 40 of Irish Radio Airplay Chart.
It was later confirmed on 1 February 2011 that there will be no second single for Gravity. Byrne stated that it was out of the band's hands and it was a Syco's decision. On 14 March 2011, Westlife confirmed that they had left Syco Music with the group citing the decision not to release a second single as the reason. Despite cancelled single, "I Will Reach You" was released as a follow-up promotional radio single in April 2011 on some of the radio stations in Indonesia, Ireland and the Philippines where it charted and went to No. 1 on a radio station in the Philippines.
|1.||"Beautiful Tonight"||John Shanks, Paul Barry||Shanks||4:00|
|2.||"Safe"||Shanks, James Grundler||Shanks||3:53|
|3.||"Chances"||Joel Pott, Carey Willetts, Steven Roberts, Timothy Wanstall||Shanks||4:46|
|4.||"I Will Reach You"||Mark Feehily, Steve Anderson, Jamie Hartman||Shanks||3:21|
|5.||"Closer"||Shanks, John Reid, Nicky Byrne, Kian Egan, Feehily, Shane Filan||Shanks||4:06|
|6.||"The Reason"||Douglas Robb, Dan Estrin, Chris Hesse, Markku Lappalainen||Shanks||3:54|
|7.||"Tell Me It's Love"||Shanks, Wayne Hector||Shanks||4:18|
|8.||"I Get Weak"||Shanks, Savan Kotecha||Shanks||3:42|
|9.||"Before It's Too Late"||Anderson, Feehily, Simon Petty||Shanks||4:09|
|10.||"No One's Gonna Sleep Tonight"||Shanks, Hector||Shanks||3:53|
|11.||"Difference in Me"||Shanks, Hector||Shanks||3:29|
|12.||"Too Hard To Say Goodbye"||Shanks, Byrne, Egan, Feehily, Filan||Shanks||4:44|
|Japanese bonus track|
|13.||"Please Stay"||Burt Bacharach, Bob Hilliard||Steve Anderson||3:43|
|German bonus track|
|13.||"Safe (Music video)"||Grundler, Shanks||Shanks||3:59|
- Art Direction [Creative Direction] – Mark Feehily
- Contractor [Musician], Coordinator [Production] – Shari Sutcliffe
- Design – Steve Stacey
- Management – Louis Walsh Management
- Mastered By – Bob Ludwig
- Photography – Kevin McDaid
01. Beautiful Tonight - Shane, Mark
02. Safe - Shane, Mark
03. Chances - Shane, Mark
04. I Will Reach You - Mark, Shane
05. Closer - Shane, Mark
06. The Reason - Shane, Mark
07. Tell Me it's Love - Shane, Mark, Nicky
08. I Get Weak - Shane, Kian, Mark
09. Before It's Too Late - Mark
10. No one's Gonna Sleep Tonight - Shane, Mark
11. Difference in Me - Shane
12. Too Hard To Say Goodbye - Kian, Shane, Nicky, Mark,
13. Please Stay - Kian, Nicky, Shane, Mark
In a November 2010 interview with Daily Star, Westlife have already admitted defeat in their chart battle with JLS. Kian admitted: "I don’t think we’re going to win against JLS to be honest – they’re probably going to get the No.1. "But we’re not really bothered about chart positions. "We rate the success of an album on the overall sales". Ironically JLS also lost the chart battle, with Take That's second week sales of Progress enough to keep them at number one on the UK Charts.
|Country / region||Date||Format||Label||Catalogue|
|Europe||19 November 2010||CD, Digital download||RCA Records, Sony Music||88697724482|
|Philippines||Sony Music Entertainment
Ivory Music and Video
|Sweden||Sony Music Entertainment|
|Denmark||22 November 2010|
|United Kingdom||S/Syco Music|
|South Korea||23 November 2010||Sony Music Entertainment|
|Finland||24 November 2010|
|Mexico||26 November 2010|
|Taiwan||30 November 2010|
|Germany||3 December 2010|
|Japan||15 December 2010||Sony Music Japan International||SICP-2929|
|Country / region||Date||Format||Label||Catalogue|
|Japan||22 November 2010||CD, Digital download||RCA Records,
|Canada||23 November 2010|
- "Westlife | Gravity Album Review". Contactmusic.com. 18 November 2010. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Music :: Album review - Westlife: Gravity (Syco)". Express.co.uk. 19 November 2010. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- Sarah-Louise James (23 November 2010). "Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: Music Reviews :: Review - Westlife: Gravity". Daily Star. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Westlife - Gravity". Entertainment Focus. 22 November 2010. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Westlife - Gravity. Review by Jenny Mulligan | Entertainment.ie - Ireland | Music, CD Reviews". Entertainment.ie. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Westlife - Gravity | Musik | Expressen Nöje | Nöjesnyheter Musiknyheter Filmnyheter". Expressen.se. 19 November 2010. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- Hunter, Ludovic (19 November 2010). "Westlife: Gravity". FT.com. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Westlife: Gravity album - Music News & Reviews". Funky. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Gravity - Westlife - Hit Play - Jacaranda 94.2". Jacarandafm.com. 17 February 2011. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- Petter Blomberg email@example.com. "Westlife - "Gravity" - Skiva" (in Swedish). mvt.se. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "OK! Magazine: First For Celebrity News :: Music :: Review: Westlife - Gravity". Ok.co.uk. 23 November 2010. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- Jones, Alan (28 November 2011). "Official Album Chart Analysis: Rihanna LP sells 163,819 units". Music Week. Retrieved 29 November 2011.
- Westlife team up with Take That producer - RTÉ Ten. Rte.ie (19 July 2010). Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Twitter / Kian Egan: Westlife's first single ha. Twitter.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Twitter / MarkusFeehily: #westlifealbum11 reeee twe. Twitter.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Twitter / MarkusFeehily: Ok so our album will be re. Twitter.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: Playlist :: Westlife take album name from fan on Twitter. Daily Star (16 October 2010). Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Music - News - Westlife promise "step up" for new album. Digital Spy (20 October 2010). Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Twitter / John Shanks: we have a done finished we. Twitter.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Twitter / John Shanks: @ificheallaigh 2 covers th. Twitter.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Niet compatibele browser. Facebook. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- "MarkusFeehily's photos - Tracklisting for ur eyes". Lockerz. Archived from the original on 24 March 2012. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Westlife - Gravity - Sony Music Entertainment Switzerland GmbH. Sonymusic.ch. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Gravity: Westlife: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads. Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Twitter / Nicky Byrne: Live on radio 2 tmrw with. Twitter.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Laurence, Rebecca. (22 November 2010) Westlife, 'Gravity' - exclusive interview: AOL Music UK. Music.aol.co.uk. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Official News (GLOBAL) - Exclusive Behind The Scenes Video Of The 'Gravity' Album Photoshoot!. Westlife (22 October 2010). Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Official News (GLOBAL) - Westlife Unveil The New Artwork For "Gravity" "Safe". Westlife (25 October 2010). Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Westlife go chic for new album cover - Celebrity Magazine News :: iSUBSCRiBE - Magazine Subscription Specials. Isubscribe. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Twitter / Nicky Byrne: So you've all heard the ti. Twitter.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Music - News - Westlife announce fan-chosen LP title. Digital Spy (13 October 2010). Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Twitter / Fiona Reynoldson: @MarkusFeehily ..."Gravity. Twitter.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Twitter / Fiona Reynoldson: @MarkusFeehily ...or maybe. Twitter.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Westlife (3 January 2011). "Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: Playlist :: New tune is a surprise". Daily Star. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Twitter / Nicky Byrne: There will be No 2nd singl". Twitter.com. 1 February 2011. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Westlife split from guru Simon Cowell". The Sun. 14 March 2011. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- Sony Music Shop. Sonymusicshop.jp (23 November 2010). Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- "iTunes - Musik – "Gravity (Bonus Video Version)" von Westlife". Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- Steffen Hung. "Westlife - Gravity". swisscharts.com. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "Westlife Album Chart History: European Top 100 Albums". Billboard.[not in citation given]
- "Westlife - Gravity - Music Charts". Acharts.us. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "ウエストライフのCDアルバムランキング、ウエストライフのプロフィールならオリコン芸能人事典-ORICON STYLE" (in Japanese). Oricon.co.jp. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- Steffen Hung. "Mexican Chart Position". Mexicancharts.com. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Steffen Hung (21 November 2010). "Westlife - Gravity". swisscharts.com. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Archive Chart". Scottish Albums Chart. The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- "Radio 1 - Chart - The Official UK Top 40 Albums Chart". BBC. 24 February 2007. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Best of 2010 - Top 20 Albums". Irish Recorded Music Association.
- Compiled by the Official Charts Company which includes the full 52 weeks of the year. Not to be confused with the BBC Year To Date chart which only included 51 weeks on chart.
- "Irish album certifications – Westlife – Gravity". Irish Recorded Music Association.
- "British album certifications – Westlife – Gravity". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Gravity in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search
- Gravity - Westlife - Music - CDON.COM. Cdon.eu. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Sony Music Ireland Archived 27 September 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- Gravity, Westlife | Muziek. bol.com (18 November 2010). Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Westlife / Gravity - Hmv Hong Kong. Hmv.com.hk. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Irländska succégruppen Westlife är tillbaka med singeln "Safe" | Sony Music Entertainment Sweden. Sonymusic.se. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Westlife: Gravity. BoomerangShop.com (19 November 2010). Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- WESTLIFE - GRAVITY - POP - CD - køb den hos. Billigcd.dk (22 November 2010). Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Sony Music. Sony Music (16 November 2010). Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Zespół Westlife zdradził tytuł płyty - Newsy - Muzyka w Onet.pl. Muzyka.onet.pl. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Westlife - Gravity (CD) - Music. Take 2 (19 November 2010). Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Westlife - Gravity - CDs at Play.com (UK). Play.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- (Korean) [인터넷 교보문고] Gravity[포스터+포스터케이스무료증정]. Kyobobook.co.kr. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Westlife : Gravity - Levykauppa Äx. Levykauppax.fi. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Mixup Music Store. Mixup.com.mx (25 November 2009). Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Gravity: Westlife: Amazon.de: Musik. Amazon.de. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Gravity【CD】-Westlife｜Popular Rock｜Rock & Pop｜Music｜HMV ONLINE Online Shopping & Information Site. Hmv.co.jp. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Amazon.co.jp： Gravity: Westlife: 音楽. Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Gravity: Westlife: Amazon.ca: Music. Amazon.ca (23 November 2010). Retrieved on 28 November 2010.
- Gravity: Westlife: Amazon.fr: Musique. Amazon.fr. Retrieved on 27 June 2013.
- Gravity: Westlife: Music. Amazon.com. Retrieved on 28 November 2010.