Great Bend, Pennsylvania
|Great Bend, Pennsylvania|
Great Bend, Pennsylvania
|• Mayor||James W. Riecke|
|• Total||0.3 sq mi (0.78 km2)|
|• Density||2,446.7/sq mi (955.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||570 Exchange: 879|
Great Bend is a borough in Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, United States, 39 miles north of Scranton. According to 2010 Census data, Great Bend's population was 734, up 4.7% from 2000. Great Bend sits along the Susquehanna River, less than two miles from the New York State border. Located directly off Interstate 81, tourism is a driving force of the area's economy. Several small manufacturers also call Great Bend home. Great Bend is considered a bedroom community of the Binghamton, NY metropolitan area. Downtown Binghamton is roughly 11 miles from Great Bend. The borough provides residents and guests with three public parks. Billy Greenwood Memorial Park on Kilrow Ave. and Veterans' Memorial Park on Spring St. offer stunning views of the Susquehanna River. Children living in Great Bend are served by the Blue Ridge School District.
Great Bend is located at (41.973226, -75.744376).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 734 people, 341 households, and 194 families residing in the borough. The population density was 2,446.7 people per square mile (955.7/km²). There were 369 housing units at an average density of 1,230 per square mile (480.5/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 97.7% White, 0.4% Asian, 0.3% some other race, and 1.6% two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race composed 1.4% of the population.
There were 341 households out of which 22.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.1% were married couples living together, 10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 43.1% were non-families. 36.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.15 and the average family size was 2.74.
In the borough the population was spread out with 19.8% under the age of 18, 59.1% from 18 to 64, and 21.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years.
The median income for a household in the borough was $41,776, and the median income for a family was $52,381. Males had a median income of $33,750 versus $29,138 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $21,634. About 1.2% of families and 6.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.5% of those under age 18 and 8.9% of those age 65 or over.
- "Great Bend Township". Susquehanna County Historical Society. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 143.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 12 May 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 17 June 2013. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1899,' Biographical Sketch of Charles L. Catlin, pg. 769
Media related to Great Bend, Pennsylvania at Wikimedia Commons