Great Britain at the 1960 Summer Olympics
|Great Britain at the
1960 Summer Olympics
|NOC||British Olympic Association|
|Competitors||253 (206 men and 47 women) in 17 sports|
|Flag bearer||Richard McTaggart|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
|Other related appearances|
|1906 Intercalated Games|
The United Kingdom competed as Great Britain at the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome, Italy. 253 competitors, 206 men and 47 women, took part in 130 events in 17 sports. British athletes have competed in every Summer Olympic Games.
The Rome Games continued Great Britain and Northern Ireland's disappointing run in the Olympics, with British athletes picking up only two gold medals (down from six in 1956). Overall, they won twenty medals, finishing twelfth.
- Dorothy Hyman — Athletics, Women's 100 metres
- Carole Quinton — Athletics, Women's 80m Hurdles
- Dorothy Shirley — Athletics, Women's High Jump
- Allan Jay — Fencing, Men's Épée Individual
- Allan Jay, Michael Howard, John Pelling, Henry Hoskyns, Raymond Harrison, and Michael Alexander — Fencing, Men's Épée Team
- Natalie Steward — Swimming, Women's 100m Backstroke
- Peter Radford — Athletics, Men's 100 metres
- Peter Radford, David Jones, David Segal, and Neville Whitehead — Athletics, 4 × 100 m Relay
- Stan Vickers — Athletics, Men's 20 km Walk
- Dorothy Hyman — Athletics, Women's 200 metres
- Richard McTaggart — Boxing, Lightweight
- Jimmy Lloyd — Boxing, Welterweight
- William Fisher — Boxing, Light Middleweight
- Brian Phelps — Diving, Men's 10m Platform
- Elizabeth Ferris — Diving, Women's 3m Springboard
- David Broome and Sunsalve — Equestrian, Jumping Individual
- Natalie Steward — Swimming, Women's 100m Freestyle
- Louis Martin — Weightlifting, Middle-heavyweight
Men's Hammer Throw
- Qualifying Round — 63.21 m
- Final Round — 54.22 m (→ 15th place)
Women's Discus Throw
- Qualifying Round — 41.12 m (→ did not advance, 21st place)
Women's Shot Put
- Qualifying Round — 13.10 m (→ did not advance, 16th place)
12 male cyclists represented Great Britain in 1960.
18 fencers, 13 men and 5 women, represented Great Britain in 1960.
Three male pentathletes represented Great Britain in 1960.
- Patrick Harvey
- Donald Cobley
- Peter Little
- Single scull - Sidney Rand - unplaced
- Double scull - Nicholas Birkmyre, George Justicz - unplaced
- Coxless pair - R J Nicholson, C L Marshall - unplaced
- Coxed pair - S Farquharson, J R Reeves, K Lester
- Coxless four - C G V Davidge, J M Beresford, J P C Vigurs, C F Porter - Fifth
- Coxed four - S C Crosse, Richard Knight, J M Russell, J Tilbury, T H Rosslyn-Smith - unplaced
- Eight - R C I Bate, R L S Fishlock, J R Chester, A T Lindsay, I L Elliott, G V Cooper, D W Shaw, C M Davis, P J Reynolds (cox)
Ten shooters represented Great Britain in 1960.
- "Great Britain at the 1960 Rome Summer Games". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 1 August 2014.