|Great Hinton shown within Wiltshire|
|Population||171 in (2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Dorset and Wiltshire|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Great Hinton is a small village and civil parish about 3 miles (4.8 km) south of Melksham and 3.5 miles (5.6 km) north-east of Trowbridge in Wiltshire, England. The parish includes the hamlets of Bleet and Cold Harbour.
The parish was a tithing of the ancient parish of Steeple Ashton, until it became a separate civil parish in the late 19th century. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book. There were ancient settlements in the area as shown by the medieval earthworks to the north of the village, and the ancient "holloway" located south and east of Church Farm.
Great Hinton had a public house, The Linnet (originally called The New Inn), which closed in 2011. It is a Grade II listed building that was built in the mid-eighteenth century and has a brewhouse dated 1816. It is a brick building with asbestos slate roof and brick chimney stacks. The interior of the building has been modernised but the chamfered beams remain.
The Manor House is from the early 19th century and is also a Grade II listed building. It is a detached house constructed of dressed limestone, with a hipped roof of Welsh slate and brick chimney stacks. It is a two-storey building with three windows at the front on the upper floor and two on the ground floor with a central door. Other listed buildings in the village include Church Farmhouse, New Barn Farmhouse and Fore Street Farmhouse, which all date from the seventeenth century, and Old Mill Cottage from much the same date.
- "Wiltshire Community History - Census". Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "Victoria County History - Wiltshire - Vol 8 - Steeple Ashton". British History Online. University of London. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "Great Hinton". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire County Council. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Historic England. "The Linnet, Great Hinton (1251291)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "Planning application W/11/03080/FUL". Wiltshire Council. 18 November 2011. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "The Linnet, Great Hinton". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Historic England. "Manor House, Great Hinton (1262853)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "Manor House, Great Hinton". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Listed Buildings in Great Hinton, Wiltshire, England". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Care, Adam (4 October 2012). "Best little village's joy for Great Hinton". Wiltshire Times. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
Media related to Great Hinton at Wikimedia Commons
- "Great Hinton". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 6 December 2015.