Great Neck (village), New York
|Great Neck, New York|
|Village of Great Neck|
Great Neck, Nassau County, viewed west from Northern Boulevard.
|Nickname(s): The Old Village|
Location in Nassau County and the state of New York.
|• Total||1.4 sq mi (3.5 km2)|
|• Land||1.4 sq mi (3.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||108 ft (33 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||10,218|
|• Density||7,100/sq mi (2,900/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0951636|
Great Neck is a village in the town of North Hempstead in Nassau County, New York, in the U.S., on the North Shore of Long Island. It sits on the New York City-Nassau County border. As of the 2010 United States Census, the village population was 9,989.
The term Great Neck is also commonly applied to the entire peninsula on the north shore and an area extending south to and including Lake Success. The larger Great Neck area comprises a residential community of some 40,000 people made up of nine villages as well as hamlets of North Hempstead. To distinguish the Village of Great Neck from the other villages in larger Great Neck, it is sometimes referred to as "the old village".
The Village of Great Neck is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2), of which 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2), or 1.46%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,538 people, 3,346 households, and 2,552 families residing in the village. The population density was 7,062.3 people per square mile (2,727.9/km2). There were 3,441 housing units at an average density of 2,547.9/sq mi (984.1/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 85.33% White, 2.82% African American, 0.10% Native American, 4.94% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 3.28% from other races, and 3.48% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.17% of the population.
There were 3,346 households out of which 36.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.9% were married couples living together, 8.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.7% were non-families. 20.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.85 and the average family size was 3.30.
In the village, the population was spread out with 26.4% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 25.3% from 25 to 44, 24.7% from 45 to 64, and 17.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 94.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.0 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $76,645, and the median income for a family was $89,733. Males had a median income of $52,445 versus $37,476 for females. The per capita income for the village was $38,790. About 5.5% of families and 7.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.5% of those under age 18 and 8.1% of those age 65 or over.
Great Neck is known for its easy commute to Manhattan, along the Long Island Rail Road's Port Washington Branch. The Great Neck train station is also a hub for several buses operated by Nassau Inter-County Express.
- n20G: Flushing - Great Neck
- n20H: Great Neck - Hicksville
- n21: Great Neck - Glen Cove
- n25: Lynbrook - Great Neck
- n26: Jamaica - Great Neck
- n57: Great Neck Loop
- n58: Great Neck - Kings Point
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Great Neck village, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved October 3, 2011.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Iranian ancestry by city - ePodunk