Great Seal of Arkansas
|The Great Seal of Arkansas|
|Armiger||Government of Arkansas|
|Adopted||May 3, 1864(modifications made in 1907 )|
|Motto||Latin: Regnat populus|
The Great Seal of Arkansas is used to authenticate certain documents issued by the Government of Arkansas. The phrase is used both for the physical seal itself, which is kept by the Governor of Arkansas, and more generally for the design impressed upon it. The Great Seal was modified to its present form on May 23, 1907.
Title 1 of the Arkansas Code specifies that the seal “shall present the following impressions, devices and emblems, to wit: An eagle at the bottom, holding a scroll in its beak, inscribed ‘Regnat populus,’ a bundle of arrows in one claw and an olive branch in the other; a shield covering the breast of the eagle, engraved with a steamboat at top, a beehive and plow in the middle, and sheaf of wheat at the bottom; the Goddess of Liberty at the top, holding a wreath in her right hand, a pole in the left hand, surmounted by a liberty cap, and surrounded by a circle of stars outside of which is a circle of rays; the figure of an angel on the left, inscribed ‘Mercy,’ and a sword on the right hand, inscribed ‘Justice,’ surrounded with the words ‘Seal of the State of Arkansas.’ ”
The present seal was approved by an act of the State legislature on May 23, 1907. This act amended the act of May 3, 1864, by changing the wording of the motto from Regnant populi to Regnat populus.
- "AR Code § 1-4-108 (2017)". Justia.com. Retrieved August 27, 2019.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Shankle, George Earlie (March 1938) [1st pub. March 1934]. State Names, Flags, Seals, Songs, Birds, Flowers, and Other Symbols (Revised ed.). New York: H. W. Wilson Company. p. 183 – via Internet Archive.
- Shearer, Benjamin F.; Shearer, Barbara S. (1987). State Names, Seals, Flags, and Symbols: a Historical Guide. Illustrated by Jerrie Yehling Smith. New York: Greenwood Press. p. 37. ISBN 0-313-24559-2. LCCN 86-27135. OCLC 779025878. OL 2732936M.
- Ware, David (March 8, 2018). "Official State Seal". Encyclopedia of Arkansas.
- Media related to Great Seal of Arkansas at Wikimedia Commons