Great South West Walk
|Great South West Walk|
|Length||250 km (160 mi)|
The Great South West Walk is a 250-kilometre (155 mi) walking track, established in 1981, and located predominately in the Barwon South West region of Victoria, Australia. Much of the course of the track passes through the Lower Glenelg National Park, the Cobboboonee National Park, the Discovery Bay Coastal Park, the Mount Richmond National Park and the Cape Nelson State Park, and may be explored through shorter or overnight hikes, or the entire 12- to 14-day circular hike, starting and finishing in either Portland or Nelson. A short portion of the track is located in South Australia, near Donovans.
The Great South West Walk track, which notionally begins and ends at the Visitor Information Centre in Portland, traverses forest, river gorge, high cliff tops and bays. It was designed as a long distance walking track, with the option for short and day walks. It is accessed from roads in and near the towns of Portland and Nelson. The walk's difficulty is rated as moderate, and consists of fifteen sections of varying lengths. The walk contains 14 camp sites along the track; all supplied with fresh water, cleared tent sites and bush toilets. All overnight stays at 14 campsites require an online booking and a fee. Links to the online booking site can be accessed via the walk's website. www.greatsouthwestwalk.com
The track consists of the following sections and points:
|Section location||Start location||End location||Section distance|
|rural fringe||Portland||Cubbys Camp||18.5||11.5|
|Cobboboonee National Park||Cubbys Camp||Cut-Out Camp||13||8.1|
|Cut-Out Camp||Fitzroy Camp||22||14|
|Lower Glenelg National Park||Fitzroy Camp||Moleside Camp||22||14|
|Moleside Camp||Pritchards Camp||10.5||6.5|
|Pritchards Camp||Pattersons Camp||21.5||13.4|
|Discovery Day Coastal Park||Nelson||Monibeong||23||14|
|Mount Richmond National Park||Swan Lake||Tarragal Camp||20||12|
|Tarragal Camp||Springs Camp||12||7.5|
|Cape Bridgewater||Springs Camp||Trewalla Camp||15||9.3|
|Cape Nelson State Park||Trewalla Camp||Mallee Camp||17||11|
- "Activities: Walking". Parks Victoria. Government of Victoria. 2014. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- Chapman, John (9 October 2011). "Great South West Walk". Victorian bushwalking. Laburnum: John Chapman. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- "Lower Glenelg National Park, Discovery Bay Coastal Park: Visitor Guide" (PDF). Parks Victoria (PDF). Government of Victoria. June 2014. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- "Great South West Walk official website". The Friends of the Great South West Walk Inc. 2014.
- Great South West Walk (Map). Our Hiking Blog. March 2009.
- "Lower Glenelg National Park Management Plan" (PDF). Parks Victoria (PDF). Government of Victoria. May 1991. p. 11. ISBN 0-7306-2068-9. Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 November 2013.
|This trail or long-distance path-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|