Great Voltigeur Stakes
|Group 2 race|
|Race type||Flat / Thoroughbred|
|Distance||1m 4f (2,414 metres)|
colts and geldings
|Weight||9 st 0 lb
5 lb for Group 1 winners *
3 lb for Group 2 winners *
* since January 1, 2016
|Idaho||Housesofparliament||Across The Stars|
|Storm The Stars||Bondi Beach||Giovanni Canaletto|
|Thought Worthy||Main Sequence||Encke|
|Sea Moon||Al Kazeem||Seville|
The Great Voltigeur Stakes is a Group 2 flat horse race in Great Britain open to three-year-old colts and geldings. It is run at York over a distance of 1 mile and 4 furlongs (2,414 metres), and it is scheduled to take place each year in August.
The event is named after Voltigeur, the Yorkshire-trained winner of the Derby and St Leger in 1850. It was established in 1950, and it was initially called the Voltigeur Stakes. The word "Great" was added to the title in 1957.
The Great Voltigeur Stakes serves as a trial for the following month's St Leger, and thirteen horses have achieved victory in both races. The first was Premonition in 1953, and the most recent was Lucarno in 2007. The last participant to subsequently win the St Leger was Encke, third in 2012.
The event is currently held on the opening day of York's four-day Ebor Festival meeting.
Leading jockey (9 wins):
- Lester Piggott – Pindari (1959), St Paddy (1960), Ragazzo (1965), Meadowville (1970), Athens Wood (1971), Our Mirage (1972), Alleged (1977), Noble Saint (1979), Prince Bee (1980)
Leading trainer (7 wins):
- Sir Michael Stoute – Electric (1982), Sacrament (1994), Fantastic Light (1999), Air Marshall (2000), Hard Top (2005), Sea Moon (2011), Telescope (2013)
- Racing Post:
- galopp-sieger.de – Great Voltigeur Stakes.
- horseracingintfed.com – International Federation of Horseracing Authorities – Great Voltigeur Stakes (2016).
- pedigreequery.com – Great Voltigeur Stakes – York.
- Abelson, Edward; Tyrrel, John (1993). The Breedon Book of Horse Racing Records. Breedon Books. pp. 152–153. ISBN 1-873626-15-0.