St Mary's Church, Great Wymondley
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
Great Wymondley is a village situated near Hitchin in Hertfordshire, England. Despite the names, Great Wymondley is a smaller settlement than its neighbour, Little Wymondley. It is in the civil parish of Wymondley.
In the late 19th century the historian Frederic Seebohm, who lived in Hitchin, studied Wymondley's field system using detailed maps in the manorial records. He was aware of research which had been carried out earlier in the century on the work of Roman land surveyors (known as gromatici), and he argued that the dimensions of the fields at Wymondley suggest the use of an ancient unit of measurement called the jugerum. Assuming the validity of this analysis, which has been confirmed by later scholars, one implication is that there was continuity in the way the land was managed before and after the Anglo-Saxon settlement of this part of Hertfordshire.
Wymondley appears in the Domesday Book with a recorded population of 58 households. This figure does not distinguish between Great and Little Wymondley, but scholars have been able to derive data about the separate villages from the Domesday record.
Great Wymondley was a separate civil parish until 1 April 1937, when it merged with neighbouring Little Wymondley to form a single parish called Wymondley.
There are two scheduled monuments in the parish:
- Wymondley Roman Villa. The remains are situated near Ninesprings in the valley of the River Purwell. It has been partly excavated.
- Great Wymondley Castle. The earthworks of a motte-and-bailey castle and associated manorial enclosure 20m east of St Mary's Church.
- Natural and historic environments www.wymondley.org
- Domesday: A Search for the Roots of England. Michael Wood. BBC Publications (1986)
- "(Great and Little) Wymondley".
- Fitzpatrick-Matthews, Keith (2020). "The Archaeology of the Wymondleys".
- "Great Wymondley Ancient Parish / Chapelry / Civil Parish". A Vision of Britain through Time. GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth. Retrieved 5 November 2021.
- "Roman villa (site of)". ancientmonuments.UK.
- "Great Wymondley Castle".
- "Church of St Mary the Virgin (Great Wymondley)".
- Young, Richard; Hamilton, Liz (April 2015). "The earth beneath our feet". Hertfordshire Life. Retrieved 3 September 2021.
- Parishes: Great or Much Wymondley, in A History of the County of Hertford: Volume 3, ed. William Page (London, 1912), pp. 181–185 http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/herts/vol3/pp181-185 [accessed 16 May 2015].
Media related to Great Wymondley at Wikimedia Commons