Great Yarmouth Borough Council election, 2010
The 2010 Great Yarmouth Borough Council election took place on 6 May 2010 to elect members of Great Yarmouth Borough Council in Norfolk, England. One third of the council was up for election and the Conservative party stayed in overall control of the council.
After the election, the composition of the council was
Before the election the Conservatives held control of the council with 24 seats, compared to 15 for Labour. 14 seats were contested at the election with both the Conservative and Labour parties defending 7 seats. Claydon ward had 2 seats up for election after Labour councillor Dick Barker died in February 2010. Both the Conservative and Labour parties contested all 14 seats, while there were also 5 Liberal Democrats and 2 independent candidates.
With the council election being held at the same time as the general election, local issues including the outer harbour, an additional river crossing and local regeneration, were mixed with national issues during the campaign.
The Conservatives remained in control of the council, with the political balance on the council staying the same. The Conservatives gained a seat in Caister South from Labour, but lost one back to Labour in Yarmouth North.
In Yarmouth North both candidates tied on 1,034 votes each after four recounts. As a result, a pack of playing cards was used to determine the result. The Conservative candidate, Bob Peck, drew a three and Labour's Charlie Marsden then drew a seven. Therefore, Labour were allocated one more vote and gained the seat from the Conservatives.
|Great Yarmouth Local Election Result 2010|
|Party||Seats||Gains||Losses||Net gain/loss||Seats %||Votes %||Votes||+/−|
|Liberal Democrat||Nicholas Dyer||427||18.0||+3.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Rod Cole||399||17.0||+17.0|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing|
|Liberal Democrat||Gordon Dean||484||17.1||+7.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Pam Mayhew||550||20.5||+4.8|
|Liberal Democrat||Tony Harris||416||25.3||+14.3|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing|
- "Great Yarmouth". BBC News Online. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "Local elections 2010". guardian.co.uk. 2010-05-07. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Countdown on to elections". Great Yarmouth Mercury. 8 April 2010. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Playing card decides Yarmouth council seat". BBC News Online. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Local election candidates announced". Great Yarmouth Mercury. 14 April 2010. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- Bingham, John (8 May 2010). "General Election 2010: councillor loses seat on draw of a card". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Luck of the draw for Labour candidate". express.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- "Elections - Results". Great Yarmouth Borough Council. Archived from the original on 2010-11-04. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "Yarmouth council elections". Great Yarmouth Mercury. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 10 September 2011.