|• Urban||741 km2 (286 sq mi)|
|• Metro||8,005 km2 (3,091 sq mi)|
|• Urban density||11,000/km2 (30,000/sq mi)|
|• Metro density||1,600/km2 (4,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5.30 (IST)|
Greater Bangalore, or Greater Bengaluru following the renaming of the city in 2014, is the core metropolitan area of Bangalore and its neighbouring regions. It occupies an area of 741 sq. km.
In January 2007, the Karnataka Government issued a notification to merge 100 wards of the erstwhile Bangalore Mahanagara Palike with seven City Municipal Councils (CMC)s, one Town Municipal Council (TMC) and 111 villages around the city to form a single administrative area. The process was completed in April 2007.
The following are the Corporations and Municipal council areas were merged to form Greater Bangalore:
- Bangalore City Corporation
- Bommanahalli City Municipal Council
- Mahadevapura City Municipal Council
- Krishnarajapura City Municipal Council
- Rajarajeshwari Nagar City Municipal Council
- Dasarahalli City Municipal Council
- Byatarayanapura City Municipal Council
- Yelahanka City Municipal Council
- Kengeri Town Municipal Council
- Electronics City Notified Area
- In addition, 111 villages adjacent to Bangalore City Corporation and above mentioned City Municipal Councils and Town Municipal Council.
- ^ "Notification at BMP website". 16 January 2007. Archived from the original on 15 October 2007. Retrieved 17 October 2007.