Greater Taishan Region
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Greater Taishan Region (simplified Chinese: 台山地区; traditional Chinese: 台山地區; pinyin: Táishāndìqū; Jyutping: toi4 saan1 dei6 keoi1; Taishanese: Hoi San Di Kui;) is another term used to refer the Sze Yap Region or Wu Yi Region (when including Heshan) of Guangdong province.
The region is geographically located in the center of Guangdong province, just west of Zhongshan city. The Greater Taishan Region is part of the Pearl River Delta Region and is part of the western section. The region consists of the cities of Taishan, Kaiping, Enping, Xinhui, Jiangmen (used to be part of Xinhui), and Heshan.
Culturally and linguistically speaking, the County of Doumen (which is now part of Zhuhai city) would be considered also part of the Greater Taishan Region.
The region consists of about 4 Million people, with over 4.5 million living overseas, which means there are about 8 to 9 Million Taishanese or Sze Yap people Worldwide.
Today many Sze Yap people have become successful in many areas such as the entertainment industry, business and politics. Hong Kongers of Sze Yap origin include: Andy Lau, Beyond (band), Danny Chan, Kenny Kwan, Joey Yung, Ronnie Chan, John Tsang, Andrew Li and many others. The Father of Hong Kong Cinema, Lai Man-Wai also has ancestry from the Sze Yap region of Guangdong province. As a result, Sze Yap people have dominated in the Hong Kong entertainment industry and play most major roles in the music and movie sectors. In many Hong Kong films, Taishanese can be heard, especially in many of Karl Maka's films such as Merry Christmas and Aces Go Places.
It is said that over 100 famous people come from the Sze Yap region of Guangdong province, making the region famous for producing more stars than any other city/region in Mainland China. As a result, the local government in Jiangmen which administers the Sze Yap or Ng Yap cities of Taishan, Kaiping, Enping, Xinhui, and Heshan, decided to build a Stars Park called Jiangmen star park (江门星光园).
List of Notable people
- Hu Die (Heshan, Guangdong) - a very famous Shanghainese Actress; during her time she was voted the "Empress of Chinese Cinema" 
- Lai Man-Wai (Xinhui, Guangdong) - Father of Hong Kong Cinema
- Chen Yunchang (Taishan, Guangdong) - a very famous Shanghainese Actress; during her time, in a third vote, she was voted as well "Empress of Chinese Cinema"
- Shawn Yue (Taishan, Guangdong) - is a famous Hong Kong Actor, Singer and former model
- Joey Yung (Xinhui, Guangdong) - is a cantopop singer and actress from Hong Kong
- Andy Lau (Xinhui, Guangdong) - is a Hong Kong Cantopop singer, film actor, and producer; one of the Four Heavenly Kings of Cantopop (四大天王)
- Tony Leung Chiu-Wai (Taishan, Guangdong) - is a Cannes Film Festival and five-time Hong Kong Film Award-winning Chinese film and television actor
- Danny Chan (Taishan, Guangdong) - Very popular Hong Kong Actor, Singer and Song Writer; his hometown is Sijiu, Taishan
- Kenny Kwan (Kaiping, Guangdong) - Hong Kong Actor and Singer; former member of Hong Kong boy band Boy'z
- Gillian Chung (Xinhui, Guangdong) - Hong Kong Actress and Singer; a member of Hong Kong music group Twins
- Eric Tsang (Xinhui, Guangdong) - is a Hong Kong prolific actor, film director, film producer and television host best known for hosting the Super Trio series on TVB over the course of 10 years.
- Beyond (band) (Taishan, Guangdong) - The most famous Hong Kong rock band; the whole band members have origins from Taishan
- Karl Maka (Taishan, Guangdong) - is a popular Hong Kong producer, director, actor and presenter; his hometown is Chonglou, Taishan
- Donnie Yen (Taishan, Guangdong) - is a Hong Kong martial artist, actor, film director, action choreographer and film producer
- Ekin Cheng (Enping, Guangdong) - is a Hong Kong actor and Cantopop singer
- Kenny Bee (Xinhui, Guangdong) - is a Hong Kong singer, musician and actor; a member of the Hong Kong English pop and cantopop band the Wynners
- Alan Tam (Xinhui, Guangdong) - is an award winning Hong Kong Cantopop and English pop singer and actor
- Hacken Lee (Xinhui, Guangdong) - is an award winning Hong Kong based Cantopop singer and lyricist, actor, Master of Ceremonies and Association football sportscaster
- Adam Cheng (Taishan, Guangdong) - is a Hong Kong TVB actor and Cantopop singer; wife of Lydia Shum (肥肥)
- Joyce Cheng (Taishan, Guangdong) - is a Hong Kong musician, writer, actor and performer. She is the daughter of famous Hong Kong comedian Lydia Shum and veteran actor Adam Cheng.
- Wong He (Taishan, Guangdong) - is a Hong Kong Chinese Actor & Model and former Hong Kong Policeman
- Myolie Wu (Taishan, Guangdong) - Hong Kong Actress and Singer
- David Li (Heshan, Guangdong) - Chairman and Chief Executive of the Bank of East Asia (東亞銀行); his grand father founded the Bank
- Ronnie Chan (Taishan, Guangdong) - One of the top 10 HK Billionaire; he is the chairman of Hang Lung Group and Hang Lung Properties
- Victor Fung (Heshan, Guangdong) - is the Group Chairman of Li & Fung (利豐) group of companies; his grand father founded the company
- Lee Hysan (Xinhui, Guangdong) - was a renowned land developer and entrepreneur in Hong Kong who founded modern-day Hysan Development Company Limited (希慎興業). He was known as the Li Ka-shing or the wealthiest man in HK in the early 20th Century.
- Dr.James Tak Wu (Taishan, Guangdong) - founder of Maxim's Catering (美心); which is Hong Kong's largest food & beverage corporation and restaurant chain
- Annie Wu Suk-ching (Taishan, Guangdong) - is a Hong Kong-based Chinese businesswoman and activist who founded Beijing Air Catering Ltd, the first joint venture company in the People's Republic of China; she is the daughter of Dr. James Tak Wu