Greatest Hits (Blood, Sweat & Tears album)
|Greatest hits album by Blood, Sweat & Tears|
|Label||Columbia PC 31170|
|Producer||Bobby Colomby, James William Guercio, Roy Halee, John Simon|
|Blood, Sweat & Tears chronology|
Although Blood, Sweat & Tears continued to record and tour for several more years, the band's lineup changed dramatically after Blood, Sweat & Tears 4. This compilation album includes all of the group's best-known material up to that time. This was the group's last album to earn a Gold Record award.
Columbia initially chose to incorporate the edited single versions of many of the songs, a decision which was poorly received by some fans. Some later Compact Disc releases replaced the single versions with the full length album versions.
In 1999 the album was remastered and re-released on CD with two bonus tracks - "So Long Dixie" and "More And More". In 2016, Audio Fidelity released a Super Audio CD version with the single versions as in the original release. This was a numbered limited edition mastered by Steve Hoffman and Stephen Marsh.
|Robert Christgau||(C) |
Writing for Allmusic, critic William Ruhlman wrote the album "captures the band's peak in 11 selections—seven singles chart entries, plus two album tracks from the celebrated debut album when Al Kooper helmed the group, and two more from the Grammy-winning multi-platinum second album... For the millions who learned to love BS&T in 1969 when they were all over AM radio, this is the ideal selection of their most accessible material." Music critic Robert Christgau's commented "their pop success does them more good in Vegas than on the radio, and only four of these eleven cuts made top twenty."
The original LP release included these tracks:
- "You've Made Me So Very Happy" (Berry Gordy Jr., Brenda Holloway, Patrice Holloway, Frank Wilson) – 3:29 (single version)
- "I Can't Quit Her" - (Al Kooper, Irwin Levine) – 3:38
- "Go Down Gamblin'" (David Clayton-Thomas) – 2:46 (single version)
- "Hi-De-Ho" (Gerry Goffin, Carole King) – 3:59 (single version)
- "Sometimes In Winter" (Steve Katz) – 3:07
- "And When I Die" (Laura Nyro) – 3:26 (single version)
- "Spinning Wheel" (Clayton-Thomas) – 2:40 (single version)
- "Lisa, Listen To Me" (Dick Halligan, Clayton-Thomas) – 2:58
- "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" (Kooper) – 5:56
- "Lucretia Mac Evil" (Clayton-Thomas) – 3:04
- "God Bless the Child" (Billie Holiday, Arthur Herzog Jr.) – 5:52
- Dave Bargeron - trombone, tuba, bass trombone, baritone horn, acoustic bass
- Randy Brecker - trumpet, flugelhorn
- David Clayton-Thomas - lead vocals except as noted, guitar on "Go Down Gamblin'"
- Bobby Colomby - drums, percussion, vocals
- Jim Fielder - bass
- Dick Halligan - organ, piano, electric piano, harpsichord, celeste, trombone, flute, alto flute, baritone horn, vocals
- Jerry Hyman - trombone, bass trombone, recorder
- Steve Katz - electric guitar, acoustic guitar, harmonica, mandolin, vocals, lead vocals on "Sometimes In Winter"
- Fred Lipsius - alto saxophone, piano, organ, clarinet, vocals
- Lew Soloff - trumpet, flugelhorn, piccolo trumpet
- Jerry Weiss - trumpet, flugelhorn, vocals
- Chuck Winfield - trumpet, flugelhorn
- Al Kooper - Piano, Organ, lead vocals on "I Can't Quit Her" and " I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know"
Album - Billboard (United States)