Greatest Video Hits 1
|Greatest Video Hits 1|
|Produced by||Simon Lupton and Rhys Thomas|
Hollywood Records (North America)
Greatest Video Hits 1 was the first Queen video collection on DVD. Most of the content was released previously on VHS and the long defunct CED Videodisc format as Greatest Flix in 1981. It was released in October 2002, and included video hits of the band between 1973 and 1981.
The DVD peaked at number one in UK, with sales of more than 90,000 copies. It was also the best selling DVD of the year in 2002. It was also number one in USA (platinum), Germany (gold), Spain and other countries. It was also 4 times platinum in Australia, 3 times platinum in Canada, platinum in Poland, and other places.
Most music videos on the DVD have been converted to 16:9 widescreen. This was achieved by cropping large amounts of picture from the top and bottom of the original 4:3 frame. This has caused much controversy among many fans who want the videos presented in their original aspect ratio, and see the conversion as unnecessary and detrimental to the original material.
- Bohemian Rhapsody (from A Night at the Opera, 1975)
- Another One Bites the Dust (from The Game, 1980)
- Killer Queen (live Top of the Pops version) (from Sheer Heart Attack, 1974)
- Fat Bottomed Girls (from Jazz, 1978)
- Bicycle Race (from Jazz, 1978)
- You're My Best Friend (from A Night at the Opera, 1975)
- Don't Stop Me Now (from Jazz, 1978)
- Save Me (from The Game, 1980)
- Crazy Little Thing Called Love (from The Game, 1980)
- Somebody to Love (from A Day at the Races, 1976)
- Spread Your Wings (from News of the World, 1977)
- Play the Game (from The Game, 1980)
- Flash (from Flash Gordon, 1980)
- Tie Your Mother Down (from A Day at the Races, 1976)
- We Will Rock You (from News of the World, 1977)
- We Are the Champions (from News of the World, 1977)
- PCM Stereo
- DTS 5.1
- "Now I'm Here" (Live in 1974 in London on Sheer Heart Attack Tour) (from Sheer Heart Attack, 1974)
- "Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy" (Live in July 1977 on Top of the Pops) (from A Day at the Races, 1976)
- "Keep Yourself Alive" (from Queen, 1973)
- "Liar" (from Queen, 1973)
- "Love of My Life" (Live in 1979 on the Jazz Tour) (from A Night at the Opera, 1975)
- "We Will Rock You (Fast)" (Fast Version; Live in Houston in 1977 on the News of the World Tour) (from News of the World, 1977)
The second disc also contains some extras, such as a documentary about 'Bohemian Rhapsody' called 'Inside the Rhapsody' and a photo gallery. There is the Flames version of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' available if you are in the 'Rhapsody' menu; if you highlight the 'Back to Menu' button and then press up, right, right and then left on you DVD remote you will then be able to see the flames video.
It is also possible to access audio commentaries to the initial 16 tracks of this release. Commentaries by Freddie Mercury and John Deacon are taken from previously recorded interviews whilst Brian May and Roger Taylor have recorded new commentaries for the DVD. Both confessed they have few memories of many of the videos due to a long time in each seeing them prior to the DVD being recorded.
Charts and certifications
- "Chartverfolgung / Queen / Longplay". Music Line (in German). Media Control Charts. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "Archivum: DVD Top 20". MAHASZ (in Hungarian). Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "Argentinian video certifications – Queen – Greatest Hits Video". Argentine Chamber of Phonograms and Videograms Producers.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2006 DVDs". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Canadian video certifications – Queen – Greatest Video Hits 1". Music Canada.
- "French video certifications – Queen – Greatest Video Hits 1" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Queen; 'Greatest Video Hits 1')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Certificaciones" (in Spanish). Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Type Queen in the box under the ARTISTA column heading.
- "Polish video certifications – Queen – Greatest Video Hits 1" (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry.
- "British video certifications – Queen – Greatest Video Hits 1". British Phonographic Industry. Select videos in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Enter Greatest Video Hits 1 in the search field and then press Enter.
- "American video certifications – Queen – Greatest Video Hits, Vol. 1". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Video Longform, then click SEARCH