Greece opened its embassy in Doha in 2007. It is headed by Constantinos Orphanides as of 2016. Qatar has had an embassy in Athens since 2008. Abdulaziz Ali Al-Naama has served as the Qatari ambassador to Greece since 2016.
Several military agreements between Qatar and Greece have been signed, such as an agreement on joint training exercises and a tripartite memorandum of understanding between Qatar's government, the Hellenic Vehicle Industry and the Hellenic Aerospace Industry.
Business and economy
In January 2013, Qatar Investment Authority's real estate arm Qatari Diar had been involved in a bid to redevelop Ellinikon International Airport but decided to withdraw from the tender. Later that month, the company recanted its withdrawal after a visit to Doha by Prime Minister Antonis Samaras. Furthermore, during the visit, the Qatari government agreed to create a $1.34 billion joint fund to assist small-to-medium businesses in Greece to aid its recession-struck economy. Also in 2013, another section of the Qatar Investment Authority, Qatar Holding, invested €1.2 billion in northern Greece's gold mining industry.
Former Emir of Qatar Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani purchased six islets in Greece for a sum of €8.5 million in 2013. He was reportedly interested in constructing a massive palace on one of the islets, but would be challenged by the Greek legal system due to its laws regarding the size of residences.
In terms of cooperation between companies, Greek company Anangel Maritime Services signed a joint venture agreement with Qatar-based Nakilat to employ ten of its ships to transport LNG. There were approximately seven Greek companies operating in Qatar in 2017.
According to the Qatari Ministry of Interior, there are 2,200 Greek migrants in Qatar as of 2016.
- "Greece's Bilateral Relations: Qatar". Hellenic Republic Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "The Ambassador". Hellenic Republic Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "Ambassador". Qatari embassy in Athens. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "Greek embassy in Qatar takes over Egypt's diplomatic representation in Doha". Xinhua. 6 June 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- William Skidmore (19 April 2009). "Can Greek construction capitalise in Qatar?". Construction Week Online. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "Qatar-Greece relation". Qatari embassy in Athens. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Harry Papachristou, Ingrid Melander (24 September 2010). "Qatar signs deal to invest up to $5 billion in Greece". Reuters. Retrieved 31 May 2018.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- "Qatar rejoins bid for Greek ex-airport lease". Gulf News. 23 February 2013. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "Qatar could invest up to 1 billion euros in Greece". Doha News. 30 January 2013. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "Greek PM to visit Qatar to discuss investment". Reuters. 22 January 2013. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Spyridon N. Litsas, Aristotle Tziampiris (9 November 2016). Foreign Policy Under Austerity: Greece's Return to Normality?. Springer. p. 68.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- Courtney Trenwith (1 April 2013). "Qatar emir plans palace for Greek isle: report". Arabian Business. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "Qatar and Greece to boost bilateral trade relations". Gulf Times. 8 May 2018. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "Greece beckons Qatar with investment opportunities". Qatar Tribune. 19 May 2016. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Ashraf Siddiqui (29 March 2017). "'Qatar-Greece ties very strong'". Qatar Tribune. Retrieved 31 May 2018.