Greece Central School District
|Greece Central School District|
|750 Maiden Lane
Rochester, New York 14615
Parts of the Town of Greece, New York
|Motto||Student learning is the goal|
|Grades||Pre-K–12 and adult education|
|Accreditation(s)||New York State Education Department|
|Schools||11 elementary schools (K–5)
Two middle schools (6–8)
One combined middle/high school (6–12)
One combined junior/senior high school (7–12)
Two senior high schools (9–12)
|Budget||US$197.6 million (2011–2012)|
|Students and staff|
|Unions||NYSUT, Greece Teachers' Association|
|Mailing Address||PO Box 300
North Greece, NY 14515
The Greece Central School District is a public school district in New York State that serves approximately 14,000 students in the town of Greece in Monroe County with over 3,700 employees and an operating budget of $180 million (~$13,489 per student).
Some 2015 top Greece Central School District salaries:
• 12. Barbara A. Deane (Greece), $212,548.00
• 258. Christina S. Sloane (Greece), $149,117.95
• 276. Lesley S. Flick (Greece), $147,658.71
• 361. Kathleen S. Graupman (Greece), $142,255.08
• 369. Beverly J. Ziegler (Greece), $141,839.98
• 532. Jamie N. Warren (Greece), $134,707.98
• 568. Toyia T. Wilson (Greece), $133,586.89
• 607. Mark A. Balsamo (Greece), $132,565.44
• 878. Diane R. Boni (Greece), $124,962.47
• 939. Kathryn A. Colicchio (Greece), $123,678.45
• 975. Linda A. Pickering (Greece), $122,927.81
Kathleen Graupman is the Superintendent of Schools.
The Greece Central School District was created in July 1928 by combining the former Greece school districts 3, 11, and 16. Until the construction of Greece Olympia High School, students attended John Marshall or Hilton high schools.
|Steven L. Walts||1998 – 2005|
|Josephine S. Kehoe (interim)||October 2005 – October 2006|
|Steven A. Achramovitch||November 2006 – June 2010|
|Donald O. Nadolinski (acting)||July 2010 – July 2010|
|John R. O’Rourke (interim)||July 2010 – June 2011|
|Barbara A. Deane–Williams||July 2011 – July 2015 |
|Kathleen Graupman||July 2015 – Present |
Board of education
The Board of Education (BOE) consists of 9 members who serve rotating 3-year terms. Elections are held each May for board members and to vote on the School District Budget.
Current board members:
- Sean McCabe, President
- Terry Melore, Vice President
- Lisa Christoffel
- Richard Cunningham
- Joe Grinnan
- William Maloney
- Frank Oberg
- Mary Caitlin Wight
- Michael Valicenti
- Kathleen Graupman - Superintendent of Schools
- Richard Stutzman - Interim Deputy Superintendent
- Romeo Colilli - Assistant Superintendent for Finance and Administrative Services
- Elizabeth Bentley - Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources
- Kathryn Colicchio - Assistant Superintendent for Student Achievement and Accountability (Secondary)
- Valerie Paine - Assistant Superintendent for Student Achievement and Student Support Services (Elementary)
By convention, elementary schools are named after the road on which they are located. Middle and high schools use classical Greek names.
- Autumn Lane, Principal - Tasha Potter, Assistant Principal - Kenneth Merkey
- Brookside, Principal - Anthony Reale, Assistant Principal - Kenneth Merkey
- Buckman Heights, Principal - Anitra Huchzermeier, Assistant Principal - Michelle Barton
- Craig Hill, Principal - Melissa Pacelli, Assistant Principal - Kenneth Merkey
- English Village, Principal - Cheryl Hurst, Assistant Principal - Jason Lewis
- Holmes Road, Principal - Kristin Tsang, Assistant Principal - Michelle Barton
- Lakeshore, Principal - James Palermo, Assistant Principal - Jason Lewis
- Longridge, Principal - Kellie McNair, Assistant Principals - Jason Juszczak and Jamie Naple
- Paddy Hill, Principal - Sue Streicher, Assistant Principal - Deborah Goodman
- Pine Brook, Principal - Elizabeth Bolly, Assistant Principal - Deborah Goodman
- West Ridge, Principal - Tracy DelGrego, Assistant Principal - Derek Warren
- Arcadia Middle, Principal - Brian Lumb, Assistant Principals - Michael Ferris and Michael Walker
- Athena Middle, Principal - Jason Fulkerson, Assistant Principals - Lori Delorme-Shaw and Norma Vetter
- Arcadia High, Principal - Gina Larsen, Assistant Principals - Kristina Cristofori (9th grade), Christina Wawrzyniak (10th & 12th grades) and Mason Moore (11th grade)
- Athena High, Principal - David Richardson, Assistant Principals - Bryon George (9th and 11th grades) and Susan Fix (10th and 12th grades)
- Odyssey Academy (6-12), Principal - Dr. Jeffrey Green, 6th Grade/AP/IB Teacher on Assignment - Sumara Case, Assistant Principals - Laurie Platt (7th & 9th grades), Lori Ruggeri (8th and 12th grades) and Jeffrey Henley (10th & 11th grades)
- Olympia School, Principal - Marc Fleming (also 12th grade administrator), Assistant Principals - David Hoffman (6th, 7th and 8th grades), Patricia Chodak (9th grade), Gail Watson (10th grade), and Kelly Flagler (11th grade)
In June 2007, the American Music Conference recognized the district as being among the 2007 "Best 100 Communities for Music Education".
On May 23, 2005, president George W. Bush visited the Athena Performing Arts Center.
Controversy arose in June 2012 when several students from Greece Athena Middle School were caught on camera verbally and physically abusing school bus monitor Karen Klein during a bus ride. Soon after the video became public, local FM radio station WBZA (98.9 the Buzz) reported the story and it spread virally on the internet Making the Bus Monitor Cry. District officials have promised due process in handling the misconduct by the 7th grade boys
- Monroe County GIS Services Division (2011-04-26). "Monroe County, New York School Districts" (PDF). Countywide Thematic Maps. Rochester, New York: Department of Environmental Services. Retrieved 2012-12-29.
- Facts and Figures on Monroe County School Districts, Brighton, New York: Monroe County School Boards Association, 2012, p. 20, OCLC 4891330 Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "MCSBA" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Greece Central School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 2012-12-29.
- "Deane-Williams retiring as Greece superintendent".
- Thomas, G. Scott. "247 Upstate New York school officials have salaries above $150,000; Rochester lands the most entries on list of highest-paid administrators".
- Tomkiewicz, Virginia; Husted, Shirley Cox (1982), "22", Eight Miles Along the Shore...An Illustrated History of Greece, N.Y., Greece, New York: Historical Society of Greece, NY, p. 169, OCLC 8660884
- "Greece native to lead Greece schools".
- "The 2007 "Best 100 Communities for Music Education" Roster". American Music Conference. 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-18.
- Tu Thanh Ha (June 21, 2012). "Toronto man raises over $200,000 for bullied elderly bus monitor". The Globe and Mail. Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Retrieved June 21, 2012.
- "District Statement Regarding YouTube Video". Greece Central School District. Retrieved June 21, 2012.
- "Fundraising goes Viral". Democrat and Chronicle (Rochester, NY). 2012-06-21. Retrieved 22 June 2012.