Greece at the 1972 Summer Olympics
|Greece at the
1972 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Hellenic Olympic Committee|
|Competitors||60 (58 men and 2 women) in 9 sports|
|Flag bearer||Khristos Papanikolaou|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
|Other related appearances|
|1906 Intercalated Games|
Greece competed at the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany. 60 competitors, 58 men and 2 women, took part in 46 events in 9 sports. Greek athletes have competed in every Summer Olympic Games.
|Silver||Khatzipavlis, IliasIlias Khatzipavlis||Sailing||Finn||September 8|
|Silver||Galaktopoulos, PetrosPetros Galaktopoulos||Wrestling||Men's Greco-Roman 74 kg||September 10|
- Final — 49.66 (→ 6th place)
- Quarterfinals — 47.22 (→ did not advance)
Men's 1500 metres
- Heat — 3:43.8
- Semifinals — 3:43.5 (→ did not advance)
Men's High Jump
- Qualifying Round — 2.15m
- Final — 2.15m (→ 12th place)
- Qualification Round — 2.12m (→ did not advance)
Men's Light Middleweight (– 71 kg)
Three fencers, all men, represented Greece in 1972.
Five male shooters represented Greece in 1972.
- Men's Team Competition
- Preliminary Round (Group B)
- Drew with Australia (7-7)
- Lost to Hungary (1-6)
- Lost to West Germany (3-8)
- Lost to the Netherlands (2-6) → Did not advance
- Team Roster
- Khristos Iakovou: 5th place
- "Greece at the 1972 Munich Summer Games". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 2011-02-13.