The Greek Chess Championship is normally played the year after the title year. For example, the 24th championship (for the 1974 title) was played in 1975.
The 48th championship was an eleven-player single round-robin tournament (average Elo rating 2421) held 8–23 December 1998.
Ioannes Papaioannou repeated as champion with a 7.0/9 score.
- Lists of winners:  and 
- O'Connell, Kevin (1977), "Greece", in Golombek, Harry (ed.), Golombek's Encyclopedia of Chess, Crown Publishers, p. 132, ISBN 0-517-53146-1
- Crowther, Mark (28 December 1998), THE WEEK IN CHESS 216: 48th Greek Championships, London Chess Center
- Crowther, Mark (17 December 2007), THE WEEK IN CHESS 684: Greek Championships, London Chess Center
- 2003 results from chess.gr
- 2005 results from chess.gr
- 2007 results from fide.com