|Vice President||Vasilis Viliardos|
|Press Secretary||Evaggelos Fanidis|
|Founded||28 June 2016|
|Split from||Popular Orthodox Rally|
|Headquarters||Ippokratous 10-12, Athens|
|Youth wing||Greek Solution Youth|
|Political position||Right-wing to far-right|
|European Parliament group||European Conservatives and Reformists|
10 / 300
1 / 21
The Greek Solution (Greek: Ελληνική Λύση, Elliniki Lisi), is a political party in Greece founded by former MP Kyriakos Velopoulos. It is considered by analysts and journalists to be on the right of the Greek political scene. The party garnered 4.18% of the vote in the 2019 European Parliament election in Greece, and has since been represented in the European Parliament.
The party was officially founded on 28 June 2016 by former Popular Orthodox Rally (LAOS) member and journalist, Kyriakos Velopoulos. It had previously been announced that a new party was to be founded by him. A formal presentation of the new party took place on 7 October 2016 at an event in the Peace and Friendship Stadium.
Ideology and policies
According to the party's website, Greek Solution plans to primarily invest in the primary sector of the economy and geostrategy. The party opposes the Prespa agreement and the usage of the word "Macedonia" in the name of the neighbouring Republic of North Macedonia. Greek Solution is in favour of the proclamation of an EEZ and exploitation of the mineral wealth of Greece for heavy industry. It also supports the restructuring of the educational and health system. Greek Solution supports positions that are favorable to the Greek Orthodox Church.
Greek Solution wants friendly relations with China and Russia, and has been accused of advocating for pro-Russian policy positions. Spokesman Vangelis Fanidis clarified the positions of Greek Solution, stating that: "We go with Greece's interest wherever that lies - Russia, America, China. We go logically towards Christian Russia, but it's not a sure thing given Russia's current alliance with Turkey."
10 / 300
1 / 21
- "Έρχεται το νέο "ρωσικό κόμμα" με το όνομα "Ελληνική Λύση", αναφέρει το γερμανικό Stern". 4 November 2016.
- Nordsieck, Wolfram (2019). "Greece". Parties and Elections in Europe.
- "After defeat, Greek PM calls for snap elections | Kathimerini". ekathimerini.com. Retrieved 6 July 2019.
pro-Russian right-wing party Greek Solution with 4.04 percent.
- "The Communist Party of Greece took 5.3%, far-right party Greek Solution 3.7% and former finance minister Yanis Varoufakis's MeRA25, the Greek wing of his pan-European movement DiEM25, 3.4%. Golden Dawn, another far-right party, won 2.9%, just missing the 3% threshold to enter parliament". Bloomberg. 8 July 2019.
- "But its weakening became apparent in May's European Parliament polls, when it received 4.87 percent of the vote during an election that saw Greek Solution, a newly formed party on the far right, gain 4.18 percent". Aljazeera. 8 July 2019.
- "Small Euroskeptic, far-right Greek Solution party may squeeze into Euro Parliament". ekathimerini.com. 6 May 2019.
- "A new party on the far right, Greek Solution, which is less extreme and apparently less menacing, may have siphoned away support". TIME. 8 July 2019.
- "Dutch and Greek far-right parties join ECR Group". European Interest. 6 June 2019.
- "ECR Group welcome new members". ECR Group.
- Michalopoulos, Sarantis (26 May 2019). "Tsipras calls snap elections after major electoral defeat". euractiv.com. Retrieved 27 May 2019.
Newly established right-wing Greek Solution
- "Nationale Ergebnisse Griechenland| Wahlergebnisse 2019 | 2019 Ergebnisse der Europawahl 2019 | Europäisches Parlament". https://europawahlergebnis.eu/ (in German). Retrieved 6 July 2019.
ΕΛ/EL - Ελληνική Λύση / Greek Solution 4.18External link in
- "Ο Βελόπουλος ανακοίνωσε τη δημιουργία δεξιού φιλορωσικού κόμματος στην Ελλάδα". TheCaller.Gr (in Greek). 17 March 2016. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Την "Ελληνική Λύση" θα παρουσιάσει ο Βελόπουλος στο ΣΕΦ". Newpost.gr. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Ελληνική λύση μέσω γεωργίας". eleftheria.gr (in Greek). Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- Real.gr. "Ο Βελόπουλος για την "Ελληνική Λύση": Η Δύση μας αδειάζει σε πολλά επίπεδα". Real.gr. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Ελληνική Λύση". Ελληνική Λύση (in Greek). Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Θα μας σώσει ο Βελόπουλος; | Κώστας Γιαννακίδης". Protagon.gr (in Greek). Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Kyriakos Velopoulos: From TV salesman to European Parliament". 1 June 2019.
Velopoulos's spokesman, Vangelis Fanidis, denies this. "We go with Greece's interest wherever that lies - Russia, America, China. We go logically towards Christian Russia, but it's not a sure thing given Russia's current alliance with Turkey," he told Al Jazeera.
- "ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΛΥΣΗ - ΚΥΡΙΑΚΟΣ ΒΕΛΟΠΟΥΛΟΣ | Ευρωεκλογές – Μάιος 2019". ekloges.ypes.gr. Retrieved 28 May 2019.