List of ancient Greek tribes
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Greek tribes)
Homeric and Late Bronze Age
- Minoan Cretans
- Mycenaeans and Achaeans
- Taphioi (or Teleboes)
- Aemones or Aimones
Iron Age and Classical Greece
Further information: Ancient Greek dialects
- Southern Dorians
- Northern Dorians
- Epirotes (Epirotic Dorians)
- Athamanians (or Athamanes)
- Macednoi (Macedonians)
- Woodhouse, William John. Aetolia: Its Geography, Topography, and Antiquities. Clarendon Press, 1897, p. 70. "Ptolemy, however, makes them neighbours of the Epirot tribe of the Kassopaioi, who lived on the coast of the Ionian sea."
- Mogens Herman Hansen and Thomas Heine Nielsen. An Inventory of Archaic and Classical Poleis. Oxford University Press, 2004, p. 338.
- Mogens Herman Hansen and Thomas Heine Nielsen. An Inventory of Archaic and Classical Poleis. Oxford University Press, 2004, p. 345.
- John Boardman and Nicholas Geoffrey Lemprière Hammond. The Cambridge Ancient History Volume 3, Part 3: The Expansion of the Greek World, Eighth to Sixth Centuries B.C. Cambridge University Press, 1992, p. 284.
- Wilkes, John. The Illyrians (The Peoples of Europe). Wiley-Blackwell, 1995, p. 97.
- The Illyrian Atintani, the Epirotic Atintanes and the Roman Protectorate N. G. L. Hammond, The Journal of Roman Studies Vol. 79 (1989), pp. 11-25 "There were Illyrian Amantini in Pannonia and Greek Amantes in North Epirus"