This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Fate||Acquired by Microsoft|
|Founded||Wellington, New Zealand (2006 )|
|Defunct||May 2, 2014|
|Headquarters||Wellington, New Zealand, New Zealand|
|Revenue||$1.5 million (2011)|
GreenButton was a New Zealand-based software firm. The company specialized in moving independent software vendors (ISVs) and enterprises to cloud computing. Founded in 2006, GreenButton was based in Wellington, New Zealand, with additional offices in Palo Alto, California and Seattle. GreenButton was acquired by Microsoft on 2 May 2014; its technologies were integrated into its Azure service.
GreenButton was founded as InterGrid in 2006 in Wellington, New Zealand, to provide small scale customers access to job processors. The company helped software vendors use cloud computing, offering a service called GreenButton in July 2010.
In 2011, the company was renamed to GreenButton, and they had joined the Microsoft Partner Network. In 2011, GreenButton was declared as Microsoft Corp’s Windows Azure ISV Partner of the Year. They won the 2011 New Zealand Partner of the Year Award from Microsoft New Zealand. In May 2011, GreenButton entered into an alliance with Microsoft. It included an investment reported at more than US$1 million, and adding Mark Canepa to its board of directors. GreenButton won BizSpark Partner of the Year and Software Exporter of the Year awards from MS New Zealand in 2011. Dave Fellows of GreenButton won the Solutions Architect of the Year award that year.
In December 2011, GreenButton opened two offices in the United States. The office at Palo Alto, California functioned as the US headquarters. The second was as a sales office in Seattle. GreenButton was finalists for the New Zealand Hi-Tech awards. The company had a total turnover of $1.5 million for the fiscal year 2011-12.
GreenButton partnered with the Pixar Animation Studios and the Microsoft's cloud computing platform Windows Azure, on a rendering service for RenderMan image generating software announced in January 2012. The service enhances the RenderMan Interface Specification.
In June 2012, GreenButton announced a partnership with the GNS Science of New Zealand and American based Stillwater Group for cloud computing during seismic processing. The company promoted software which integrated seismic processing to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud service. Seismic processing is part of the oil and natural gas exploration process, and requires heavy processing of data. In 2012 GreenButton entered into a partnership with Numerix, an American company that develops software for risk analysis of financial derivatives. It won an award at the 2012 Wellington Gold awards.
After its acquisition GreenButton now operates under Microsoft Azure product line as Azure Batch.
- "Cloud computing 'lifts small firms' firepower'". Business Day. Stuff. 26 June 2012. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- "InterGrid GreenButton: GreenButton Super Computing Power in the Cloud". Azure case study. Microsoft. 20 March 2011. Archived from the original on 20 June 2012. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- "Firm creates one cloud to compute them all". ZDNet. 9 September 2011. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- Innovative Kiwi Companies will bring home Gold at Global Partner Awards - Microsoft New Zealand Press Release
- "Software Developer Delivers On-Demand Computing, Doubles Revenue in 18 Months". Microsoft Case Study. 10 July 2011. Archived from the original on 20 September 2012. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- GreenButton Announces Strategic Partnerships with GNS Science and Stillwater Group - Yahoo! News
- Nz Microsoft Partner Awards 2011
- "GreenButton opening Seattle office after Azure alliance deal". Puget Sound Business Journal. 15 December 2011. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- Seven Questions For Doug Hauger, Head of Microsoft's Azure Cloud Platform - Arik Hesseldahl - Enterprise - AllThingsD
- "Microsoft decides to push GreenButton". Business Day. Stuff. 30 May 2011. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- Microsoft New Zealand: Partner Awards 2011
- "Finalists Announced for 2012 NZ Hi-Tech Awards". 22 March 2012. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- "Pixar Launches RenderMan On Demand". Press release. Pixar. 19 January 2012. Archived from the original on 23 January 2012. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- Pixar Partners With Microsoft and GreenButton to Deliver A New Rendering Service in the Cloud, by Kyle Brown, Curator | CloudInvestor.com | The Cloud Computing Revolution Star...
- GreenButton Announces Strategic Partnerships with GNS Science and Stillwater Group - SFGate
- Numerix and GreenButton Partner to Accelerate Financial Services Firms` Cloud Enablement of Derivatives Valuation and Risk Calculations | Reuters
- Numerix and GreenButton Partner to Accelerate Financial Services Firms’ Cloud Enablement of Derivatives Valuation and Risk Calculations - Yahoo! India Finance
- Wellington Gold Awards Finalists Announced | Stuff.co.nz
- Grow Wellington - News
- "Latest tech merger: Microsoft acquires Kiwi cloud computing company GreenButton". CIO NZ. 2 May 2014. Retrieved 12 October 2016.