Green Onions is the debut album by Booker T. & the M.G.s, released on Stax Records in October 1962. It reached number 33 on the pop album chart in the month of its release. The title single had been a hit worldwide and was covered by dozens of artists, including the Blues Brothers and Roy Buchanan (both with Steve Cropper on guitars), as well as The Ventures, Al Kooper, The Shadows, Mongo Santamaría and Count Basie.
Three previous Stax LPs – two by the Mar-Keys, one by Carla Thomas – had been issued on Atlantic Records. Green Onions was the first album released on the Stax label. It was also Stax's first charting album, peaking at number 33 on the Billboard 200. The album features only instrumental songs and features Steve Cropper playing a Fender Telecaster.
The album was included in Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.
- "Green Onions" (Steve Cropper, Booker T. Jones, Lewie Steinberg, Al Jackson, Jr.) – 2:45
- "Rinky Dink" (David Clowney, Paul Winley) – 2:39
- "I Got a Woman" (Ray Charles, Renald Richard) – 3:32
- "Mo' Onions" (Steve Cropper, Al Jackson, Jr., Booker T. Jones, Lewie Steinberg) – 2:50
- "Twist and Shout" (Phil Medley, Bert Berns) – 2:09
- "Behave Yourself" (Steve Cropper, Al Jackson Jr., Booker T. Jones, Lewie Steinberg) – 3:45
- "Stranger on the Shore" (Acker Bilk) – 2:18
- "Lonely Avenue" (Doc Pomus) – 3:25
- "One Who Really Loves You" (Smokey Robinson) – 2:22
- "You Can't Sit Down" (Dee Clark, Kal Mann, Cornell Muldrow) – 2:46
- "A Woman, a Lover, a Friend" (Sidney Wyche) – 3:15
- "Comin' Home Baby" (Bob Dorough, Ben Tucker) – 3:09
- Booker T. & the M.G.s
- Haig Adishian - cover design
- Irving Schild - cover photography