Green Run High School
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Green Run High School|
|1700 Dahlia Drive
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23453
|School type||Public, high school|
Green Run High School: Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than to seem.)Green Run Collegiate: Sapere Aude (Dare to Learn)
|School district||Virginia Beach City Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Aaron C. Spence|
Mr. Christopher TarkentonMrs. Barbara Winn (IB Program Charter School)
|Color(s)||Royal Blue, Kelly Green, and White|
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League
|Rival||Bayside High School|
|Feeder schools||Bayside Middle School|
Green Run High School is a public secondary school located at 1700 Dahlia Drive of the Green Run area of suburban Virginia Beach, Virginia. Green Run hosts a very diverse student population many of which come from the large concentration of military families that have moved into the area within the past couple of decades. The school was the largest high school in Virginia when it opened in 1979, with 247,000 feet of space. When it was first opened, it had the largest enrollment in the state. Due to changing demographics and the ensuing addition of new schools, the school is now one of the smallest when it comes to student body population. Construction cost totaled $11.4 million.
In April 2010, it was announced that Green Run High School was one of three high schools nationwide to be awarded the 2010 College Board Inspiration Award winners for improving their academic environments and helping under-served students achieve equitable access to higher education. The prize includes a $25,000 award presented by The College Board.
Green Run High School
- Mr. Christopher Tarkenton - Principal
- Ms. Elizabeth C. Pickett - Assistant Principal
- Dr. Kellie A. Mason - Assistant Principal
- Mr. John Cosimano - Assistant Principal
Green Run Collegiate (IB Program Charter school)
- Mrs. Barbara Winn - Principal
- Mrs. Rianne Patricio - Assistant Principal
Green Run High School was opened in 1979 and is one of three Virginia Beach schools that can be traced back to the Algonquin settlements. The land was previously used for fox hunting by the Princess Anne Hunt Club, as a garden for the Norfolk City jail, and was owned later by a Mennonite Farming family until it was sold in the 1960s.
- Shomi Patwary (Class of '00), Music Video Director 
- Plaxico Burress (Class of '96), Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver.
- Sean Siler (Class of '88), Microsoft employee who starred in the "I'm a PC" advertising campaign (2008-2009)
- Ron Villanueva (Class of '88), first Filipino-American and youngest member having ever been elected to Virginia Beach City Council ('02 - Pres).
- Andre Cason (Class of '87), former sprinter and 2 time World Championship Gold Medalist ('91 & '93) in the 4 x 100 m relay and silver medalist in the 100 meters.
- Keith Goganious (Class of '87), NFL linebacker
- Matt Darby (Class of '87), NFL defensive back
- Cedric Warren (Class of '96), University of Florida Gators Defensive Back. (1996-2000)
-  College Board Press Release, April 2010
-  President Obama speaks to Hundreds at Green Run High School in Virginia Beach, July 2012