Green Township, Scioto County, Ohio
|Green Township, Scioto County, Ohio|
Fields along U.S. Route 52 east of Franklin Furnace
Location of Green Township in Scioto County
|• Total||39.3 sq mi (101.7 km2)|
|• Land||38.8 sq mi (100.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|Elevation||883 ft (269 m)|
|• Density||110/sq mi (43/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086925|
Located in the far south of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Porter Township - north
- Vernon Township - northeast
- Elizabeth Township, Lawrence County - east
- Hamilton Township, Lawrence County - southeast
Greenup County, Kentucky lies across the Ohio River to the west.
No municipalities are located in Green Township, although the census-designated place of Franklin Furnace lies in the northeastern part of the township, and the unincorporated community of Haverhill lies in the south of the township. Both of these communities are Ohio River towns.
Name and history
Origins of Green Township date to between 1803 and 1811. The community of Haverhill was settled as early as 1797. The Powellsville community dates to July 31, 1846.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Green township, Scioto County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved March 30, 2012.
- Bannon, Henry Towne (1927). Stories Old and Often Told, Being Chronicles of Scioto County, Ohio. Baltimore: Waverly Press. p. 274.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- "Portsmouth Area Resource Guide, 2007-2008". The Community Common. 2007-07-29. p. 6.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.