Green Valley High School
|Green Valley High School|
|460 North Arroyo Grande Boulevard
Henderson, NV, 89014
|School type||Public high school|
|Motto||Commitment to Excellence|
|School district||Clark County School District|
|School colour(s)||Green, blue, and silver
|Athletics conference||Division 1 Sunrise Region|
- 1 History
- 2 Extracurricular activities
- 3 Academics
- 4 Feeder Schools
- 5 References
The school was named after the master-planned community of Green Valley which is located in northern Henderson. The school opened in the fall of 1991, with Carroll Johnston as the first principal. The first class graduated in 1993. In 2008, Green Valley became the first high school in the CCSD to randomly test its students for drugs. This was because a student athlete was apprehended with black tar heroin.
In 2004, Vice President of the United States Dick Cheney addressed a re-election rally in the school's gymnasium. Former President of the United States Bill Clinton toured the school in January 2008 before the 2008 Nevada Democratic caucuses.
In 2014 Jeff Horn the former principal moved to Assistant Chief Student Achievement Officer over GVHS and GVHS got a new Principal named Kent Roberts
Green Valley is also one of only two International Baccalaureate schools in Nevada, the other being Valley High School, also in the Las Vegas Valley.
The school's mascot is the Gator and the school's colors are green, blue, and silver.
- The varsity baseball team won six straight state titles from 1993–1998, a seventh state title in 2001 and an eighth in 2003.
- The varsity girls' golf team, with 144 consecutive victories from 1992–2004, holds the high school level national record for most consecutive victories.
- Sports Illustrated has named Green Valley High School the best sports high school in Nevada for more than a decade.
Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association State Championships
- Baseball - 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2003
- Bowling (Boys) - 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006
- Bowling (Girls) - 2001, 2002, 2003
- Cross Country (Girls) - 1999
- Golf (Boys) - 1993, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2005
- Golf (Girls) - 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2009, 2010
- Soccer (Boys) - 1997, 1999
- Soccer (Girls) - 1995, 1998, 2011
- Swimming (Boys) - 1996
- Tennis (Boys) - 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
- Tennis (Girls) - 1996
- Track and Field (Boys) - 1995, 2003
- Volleyball (Boys) - 1997, 2000, 2016
- Volleyball (Girls) - 1993, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2011
- Wrestling (Boys) - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Clubs and Performing Arts
Chartered in October 1991, Key Club of Green Valley has achieved several awards and has been recognized as one of the more influential helpers in the local home, school, and community. Currently, Mrs. Santee, winner of Adviser of the Year at California-Nevada-Hawaii District Convention 2013, and Mr. Guerin are co-advising Key Club.
In 2006 Green Valley High School was one of six U.S. high schools to premier "High School Musical"; in 2008 it was one of four U.S. high schools to present "Disney High School Musical 2: On Stage." They were also asked to again premier another of Disney's musicals, "Camp Rock: The Musical" in the summer of 2010. In 2014, they premiered Disney and Cameron Mackintosh's "Mary Poppins: The Musical", which ran from late January to early February. In May 2014, their production of "Mary Poppins" became the first high school play to show at the Las Vegas Smith Center. It was also selected to be one of the few high school shows chosen around the country to perform on the Lied Stage in June at the 2014 International Thespian Festival in Lincoln, Nebraska. The theatre department is led by Jennifer Hemme.
The forensics team has won sixteen straight Clark County School District titles and ten state titles since 1995. The "Forensigators" have qualified students for the NFL National Tournament every year since 1994. The 2008 National Forensics Tournament was held at Green Valley High School.
The fine arts department was awarded National Grammy Signature Status in 2002, 2005, and 2012.
The film club, GatorReels, has made an online comedy show since 2008. They currently have 3 full seasons, are currently making a fourth season, and have over 100 subscribers on their YouTube channel.
In 2015, the Green Valley Marching Band traveled to Orlando, Florida to participate in the Parade Of Bands in Disney World.
In 2004, The Green Valley High Schools Symphonic band was the first band in the state of Nevada to participate in the Midwest Clinic in Chicago, Illinois. It performed at Carnegie Hall in April 2006 and November 2010. The band marched in the inauguration parades of Bill Clinton (1993) and Barack Obama (2009). Koutsulis was recognized as Clark County School District Teacher of the Year in 1998.
The Green Valley High School Symphony performed at the Midwest Clinic in Chicago, Illinois in December 2008. The Green Valley High School Marching Band was invited to march in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in 2010. The Green Valley High School Marching Band was invited to perform in the opening ceremonies parade for the 2011 Shanghai World Tourism Expo in Shanghai, China The Green Valley High School Marching Band has been invited to a number of prestigious ceremonies such as the first Easter Parade in Edinburgh, Scotland (2003) as well as New Years Day Parades in both London and Paris. Green Valley's Madrigal Singers were invited among thousands of international applicants to perform at the American Choral Director's Association in both 2005 and 2009. A select group of Green Valley High School's choir members were invited to sing with The Rolling Stones at their 50th anniversary tour at the MGM Garden Arena in 2013.
The InvestiGator Newspaper has been named the Best High School Newspaper in Nevada 17 of the past 22 years, and 8 years in a row from 2004–2011. The publication most recently won the award in 2015.
The Green Valley High School Student Council has won the Silver Star Award every year since 1993. The Council has also been recognized as a National Gold Council of Excellence in 2008 and 2009.
In 2010 Green Valley High School was ranked #200,534 in Newsweek Magazine's list of the nation's 230,000 worst high schools in terms of college preparation. It also appeared on the list in the preceding four years.
Scott Panik won the 2007 Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching.
- Chad Hermansen, Major League Baseball player
- Dave Krynzel, Major League Baseball player
- Brandyn Dombrowski, National Football League player, San Diego Chargers
- Kylie Bisutti, Model, Victoria Secret Contest Winner
- Connor Fields, 2016 Olympic BMX Gold Medalist
- Tana Mongeau, YouTube personality
- Selma F. Bartlett Elementary School
- James L. Gibson Elementary School
- Lorna J. Kesterson Elementary School
- Nate Mack Elementary School
- Estes M. McDoniel Elementary School
- Jim Thorpe Elementary School
- Harriet Treem Elementary School
- Barbera & Hank Greenspun Junior High School
- Thurman White Middle School
- "Random drug testing at southern Nevada high school working". AP State & Local Wire. 2008-02-10.
- BACH, Lisa (1/10/2008). "School to start drug testing". Las Vegas Review Journal. Retrieved 2013-1-18. Check date values in:
- "Remarks by Vice-President Cheney at Victory 2004 Rally". PR Newswire US. 2004-11-02. pp. 11–123.
- Nakashima, Ryan (2008-01-15). "Former President Clinton defends Nevada caucus site lawsuit". AP State & Local Wire.
- Romano, Lauren (29 July 2008). "Disney returns to Henderson for sequel". Sunrise View. Archived from the original on April 30, 2012. Retrieved 5 October 2011.
- Carroll, Laura (1 July 2008). "Green Valley debaters compete at tournament". Green Valley/Henderson View (Las Vegas Review Journal). Archived from the original on March 26, 2012. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- Emerson, Laura. "Green Valley High School captures Varsity Quiz title". Green Valley/Henderson "View", March 30, 2010 Archived June 15, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Hickox, Katie (1992-12-14). "Elvis, Green Valley High School selected for inaugural parade". States News Service.
- "Green Valley band director state's top teacher". AP State & Local Wire. 1998-11-03.
- Osborne, Julia (2002-12-18). "Las Vegas Philharmonic again succeeds with holiday concert". Las Vegas Review Journal. pp. 9E.
- Osborne, Julia (2001-12-18). "Philharmonic, high school choir dazzel audience with holiday show". Las Vegas Review-Journal. pp. 5E.
- Osborne, Julia (1999-12-25). "Singers, bells add to joy of holiday concert". Las Vegas Review Journal. pp. 6D.
- "America's best high schools: The list". The Daily Beast. Newsweek. Archived from the original on August 17, 2011. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Top Science and Math Teachers Receive Presidential Award". States News Service. 2008-05-01.
- Iole, Kevin (2003-07-02). "Hermansen's batting average, confidence soaring". Las Vegas Review-Journal. pp. 5C.
- "Outfielder Dave Krynzel is Milwaukee Brewers' first-round selection". AP State & Local Wire. 2000-06-05.
- Keefer, Case. "Green Valley High grad makes NFL roster with Chargers". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Home page". Retrieved October 16, 2016.