Green Lane Masjid
|Green Lane Masjid|
The Masjid, formerly Green Lane Public Library and Baths (Martin & Chamberlain 1893-1902)
|Location||Small Heath, Birmingham, England|
|Architect(s)||Martin & Chamberlain|
|Architectural style||Gothic-Jacobean style|
|Designated as NHL|
|Designated||8 July 1982|
|Listed Name||Small Heath Public Library and Baths|
Established in the 1970s, the Masjid occupies a prominent corner site in Green Lane, Small Heath, Birmingham. One of the buildings had been constructed as a public library and baths, designed by local architects Martin & Chamberlain and built in the redbrick and terracotta Gothic-Jacobean style between 1893 and 1902. It is a Grade II listed building. The complex includes prayer halls for men and women, a community hall, madrasah, library, shop, some accommodation, and it also provides funeral services to the local Muslim community.
It was also one of the main mosques that featured in Channel 4's Dispatches programme Undercover Mosque, which investigated religious extremism in British mosques including preachers advocating violence, anti-Semitism, sexism and homophobia. West Midlands Police subsequently investigated the programme, feeling there may have been a misrepresentation of the mosque that could have incited religious hatred.
The mosque works closely with Birmingham City Council, West Midlands Police and local emergency services and, in 2007, came second in a national competition run by the British Islam Channel to find the country's 'Model Mosque'.  
- "List entry". Historic England. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "About Us". Green Lane Masjid. Archived from the original on 2008-01-13. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- "Images of England: Small Heath Public Library and Baths". English Heritage. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- "Facilities". Green Lane Masjid. Archived from the original on 2007-12-14. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- Dispatches - Undercover Mosque
- "Tips given on fire and road safety". Birmingham Mail. February 12, 2009.
- "Model Mosque 2007". Islam Channel. November 2007.
- "Madni Jamia Masjid has WON the Model Mosque 2007 competition!". ICEA - Islamic Cultural and Educational Centre. November 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Green Lane Masjid.|