Greenbush Township, Clinton County, Michigan
|Greenbush Township, Michigan|
|• Total||35.4 sq mi (91.8 km2)|
|• Land||35.2 sq mi (91.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|Elevation||728 ft (222 m)|
|• Density||62/sq mi (24.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626395|
- Eureka is an unincorporated community in the northeast part of the township at . The Eureka post office, with ZIP code 48833, provides PO box service for the community. The area was first settled in 1836 by John Ferdon, a member of the Rochester Colony, which also founded a settlement at Duplain in Duplain Township, adjacent to the east. Ferdon held land in both township. Before it was platted, the settlement was known as Williamsport, for pioneer settler Clark Williams; Barrington, for another settler J.A. Barrington; and Swizzletown, "which suggested the inhabitants were bibulous". It was platted in 1857 by Isaac Eagles and Mr. Barrington with the name Greenbush, after the township. A post office with that name had been established on January 29, 1844. On May 9, 1867, the post office and community were renamed Eureka, the name given by Edward Stark "as a place where he had found and others would find a fine place for doing business."
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.4 square miles (91.8 km2), of which 35.2 square miles (91.1 km2) is land and 0.27 square miles (0.7 km2), or 0.77%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,115 people, 743 households, and 621 families residing in the township. The population density was 60.0 per square mile (23.2/km²). There were 759 housing units at an average density of 21.5 per square mile (8.3/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.77% White, 0.19% African American, 0.05% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.33% from other races, and 0.43% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.75% of the population.
There were 743 households out of which 37.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 74.3% were married couples living together, 6.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 16.3% were non-families. 14.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.82 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the township the population was spread out with 26.6% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 28.9% from 25 to 44, 27.0% from 45 to 64, and 10.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 101.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $53,021, and the median income for a family was $57,721. Males had a median income of $40,391 versus $30,429 for females. The per capita income for the township was $21,453. About 1.7% of families and 3.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.7% of those under age 18 and 3.9% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Greenbush Township, Clinton County, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Greenbush township, Clinton County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved October 1, 2014.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Eureka, Michigan
- ZIP Code Lookup, United States Post Office
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.