|Studio album by Neil Young with Crazy Horse|
|Released||August 19, 2003|
|Recorded||July 11-September 19, 2002|
|Producer||Neil Young, L.A. Johnson|
|Neil Young with Crazy Horse chronology|
Greendale is the twenty-sixth studio album by Neil Young. Young and Crazy Horse's Greendale, a 10-song rock opera, is set in a fictional California seaside town. Based on the saga of the Green family, the "audio novel" has been compared to the literary classics of Thornton Wilder's Our Town and Sherwood Anderson's Winesburg, Ohio for its complexity and emotional depth in exploring a small town in America.
Greendale combines numerous themes on corruption, environmentalism and mass media consolidation. The album, concert, film and DVDs have produced a vast divergence of critical opinion ranging from being called "amateur" to being voted as one of the best albums of 2003 by Rolling Stone magazine music critics.
The CD was originally released with a DVD of live "Neil-only" acoustic performance of the Greendale material from Vicar Street, Dublin, Ireland. In 2004, the CD was released with a new DVD containing a live performance of Neil Young and Crazy Horse. A DVD-Audio version was also released, with both Advanced Resolution Stereo and 5.1 Surround sound mixes, and a video of "Devil's Sidewalk" from the film. In late 2004, the feature length DVD with actors lip-synching the material was released.
Greendale was the last Neil Young album to feature Crazy Horse until 2012's Americana, and his ninth with that band.
All songs written by Neil Young.
|1.||"Falling From Above"||7:27|
|4.||"Leave the Driving"||7:14|
|8.||"Bringin' Down Dinner"||3:16|
|10.||"Be the Rain"||9:13|
- Neil Young: guitar, organ, harmonica, vocal
- Ralph Molina: drums, vocal
- Billy Talbot: bass, vocal
- The Mountainettes:
- Pegi Young: vocal
- Nancy Hall: vocal
- Twink Brewer: vocal
- Sue Hall: vocal
In 2007, Vertigo Comics announced the production of the comic book adaptation of the album with the same title. According to writer Joshua Dysart, Neil Young is directly involved in the project. Greendale graphic novel (ISBN 1-4012-2698-1) was released in June 2010, with Cliff Chiang providing the art.
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine. "Greendale - Neil Young,Neil Young & Crazy Horse | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2015-06-03.
- Miles, Milo (2003-08-04). "Neil Young Greendale Album Review". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2015-06-03.
- Durchholz, Daniel; Graff, Gary (2012). "1997-Present". Neil Young: Long May You Run: The Illustrated History (Updated ed.). Voyageur Press. p. 177. ISBN 0760344116. Retrieved March 2014.
- Reid, Calvin (July 28, 2007). "Vertigo Plans Neil Young Graphic Novel; New Minx Titles". Publishers Weekly. Archived from the original on February 19, 2008.
- Ekstrom, Steve. "Joshua Dysart on Neil Young's Greendale at Vertigo". Newsarama. Archived from the original on August 27, 2007.
- Lorah, Michael (June 8, 2010). "Touring NEIL YOUNG'S GREENDALE With Writer Josh Dysart". Newsarama. Retrieved June 13, 2010.
- Arrant, Chris (June 9, 2010). "Artist Cliff Chiang Welcomes You to Vertigo's GREENDALE". Newsarama. Retrieved June 13, 2010.
- Gustines, George Gene (June 15, 2010). "Neil Young’s Greendale, Illustrated". New York Times. Retrieved June 15, 2010.