Greene Township, Jay County, Indiana
Snow-covered fields and woods in western Greene Township
Location in Jay County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||35.26 sq mi (91.3 km2)|
|• Land||35.25 sq mi (91.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.03 km2) 0.03%|
|Elevation||902 ft (275 m)|
|• Density||28.1/sq mi (10.8/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||0453348|
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 35.26 square miles (91.3 km2), of which 35.25 square miles (91.3 km2) (or 99.97%) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.026 km2) (or 0.03%) is water.
- Jackson Township (north)
- Wayne Township (east)
- Pike Township (southeast)
- Jefferson Township (south)
- Richland Township (southwest)
- Knox Township (west)
- Penn Township (northwest)
The township contains six cemeteries: Claycomb, Kinsey, Sager, Whaley, Whicker and Whiteman.
- "Greene Township, Jay County, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- United States Census Bureau cartographic boundary files
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Jay, Milton T. (1922). History of Jay County, Indiana: Including Its World War Record and Incorporating the Montgomery History, Volume 1. Historical Publishing Company. p. 108.
- Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 150. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...named for Greene County, Ohio, home of settlers.