Greenfield Township, Fairfield County, Ohio
|Greenfield Township, Fairfield County, Ohio|
Green fields of soybeans on Lithopolis Road
|Motto: "A perfect place to raise a family"|
Location of Greenfield Township in Fairfield County
|• Total||31.6 sq mi (81.9 km2)|
|• Land||31.5 sq mi (81.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||873 ft (266 m)|
|• Density||177/sq mi (68.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086076|
Greenfield Township is one of the thirteen townships of Fairfield County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2010 census the population was 5,565, of whom 5,027 lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Liberty Township - north
- Pleasant Township - east
- Berne Township - southeast corner
- Hocking Township - south
- Amanda Township - southwest corner
- Bloom Township - west
- Violet Township - northwest corner
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- Jacob R. Brandt, bridge builder in the area who lived in the 1800s
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001), Greenfield township, Fairfield County, Ohio". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved June 29, 2016.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001), Remainder of Greenfield township, Greenfield Township, Fairfield County, Ohio". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved June 29, 2016.
- Miller, Charles Christian (1912). History of Fairfield County, Ohio, and representative citizens. Chicago, Richmond-Arnold Pub. Co. p. 135.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.