Greening Earth Society
The Greening Earth Society, now defunct, was a public relations organization which promoted the idea that there is considerable scientific doubt about the effects of climate change and increased levels of carbon dioxide. The Society published the World Climate Report, a newsletter edited by Patrick Michaels of the Cato Institute.
It was a non-profit organization created by the Western Fuels Association, with which it shared an office and many staff members.[unreliable source?] It has been called a "front group created by the coal industry"[full citation needed] and an "industry front".[full citation needed] Fred Palmer, a Society staffer, is a registered lobbyist for Peabody Energy, a coal company.
Although the Greening Earth Society was generally skeptical of the impact of climate change, it acknowledged some degree of global warming as real: "Fact #1. The rate of global warming during the past several decades has been about 0.18°C per decade". Note that the actual increase in the global surface temperature during the 100 years ending in 2005 was 0.74 ± 0.18 °C.
- San Francisco Chronicle
- "Global Warming Skeptic Organizations". Archived from the original on March 11, 2010.
- http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science_and_impacts/global_warming_contrarians/global-warming-skeptic.html Archived March 11, 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- Exxonsecrets: Greening Earth Society
- U.S. Lobby Registration and Disclosure Page[dead link]
- Greening Earth Society
- "Summary for Policymakers" (PDF). Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. 2007-02-05. Retrieved 2007-02-02.
The updated hundred-year linear trend (1906 to 2005) of 0.74 °C [0.56 °C to 0.92 °C] is therefore larger than the corresponding trend for 1901 to 2000 given in the TAR of 0.6 °C [0.4 °C to 0.8 °C].
|This organization-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|