Town of Greensburg
Location of Greensburg in St. Helena Parish, Louisiana.
Location of Louisiana in the United States
|• Mayor||(Interim)Amanda Ficklin-Mixon
|• Total||2.52 sq mi (6.54 km2)|
|• Land||2.52 sq mi (6.52 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.01 km2)|
|Elevation||220 ft (70 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||270.35/sq mi (104.39/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
During the American Civil War, Union General Albert Lindley Lee left Baton Rouge with a division of cavalry on October 5, 1864, and raided Greensburg, where his men destroyed a tannery containing two thousand sides of leather. He also seized a large supply of quinine.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2), of which 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2) is land and 0.40% is water.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Greensburg has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 631 people, 242 households, and 150 families residing in the town. The population density was 250.6 people per square mile (96.7/km²). There were 275 housing units at an average density of 109.2 per square mile (42.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 66.72% White, 32.96% African American, 0.16% Asian, and 0.16% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.79% of the population.
There were 242 households out of which 31.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.3% were married couples living together, 15.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.0% were non-families. 35.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the town, the population was spread out with 22.3% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 24.9% from 25 to 44, 22.2% from 45 to 64, and 22.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 89.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $25,625, and the median income for a family was $35,000. Males had a median income of $30,625 versus $19,861 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,083. About 26.0% of families and 27.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 35.3% of those under age 18 and 16.7% of those age 65 or over.
Greensburg and all of St. Helena Parish are served by the St. Helena Parish School System. Zoned campuses include St. Helena Central Elementary School (Grades PK-4), St. Helena Central Middle School (Grades 5-8), and St. Helena Central High School (Grades 9-12).
- Stacy Aline Singleton Head, Democratic member of the New Orleans City Council, reared in Greensburg
- Doris Lindsey Holland Rhodes, first woman to serve in the Louisiana Legislature, born and lived in Greensburg add Tyler Perry actor , Dr Joseph Rudderson Medical Doctor , Dr Larry Amacker Medical Doctor , all military KIA
Robert Carter - Serves as Louisiana State Representative
Joe Porta, Reared in Greensburg
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 2, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Archived from the original on 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- See LA 1077 <--Wrong highway, December 2015.
- John D. Winters, The Civil War in Louisiana, Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1963, ISBN 0-8071-0834-0, p. 396
- Climate Summary for Greensburg, Louisiana
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on April 26, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.