Greentree Business Software
|Founded||New Zealand (1984)|
|Headquarters||Auckland, New Zealand|
|Peter Dickinson, CEO
Harry Mowat, Managing Director UK
|Products||Integrated Enterprise resource planning software|
Greentree is not industry vertical specific but provides capability across a wide range of market sectors. Its main markets are in Australia and New Zealand and growing in the UK, USA and the Pacific Islands.
Greentree operates in real-time and uses an integrated single design architecture which enables complete inter-module data flow.
Greentree’s origins go back to the 1980s, when it was developing DOS-based accounting software under the brand name CBA. For 14 years, CBA was the most successful mid-range financial software solution, used on more than 12,000 sites across New Zealand and Australia.
CBA was founded by Don Bowman and John Cowan in 1983. In less than a year, it became Australia’s top microcomputer accounting software. In 1986, CBA was named Australia Business Software of the Year, outselling all other computer software providers according to an independent market survey.
In 1993, CBA was sold to US-based Platinum Software but was purchased back by the original developers in July 1997 under the name Focus Software. Focus Software and the Cardinal Group teamed up to develop the first application for the Jade programming language in 1998 and called it Greentree Business Software. It was a complete ground-up rewrite of CBA and was Microsoft Windows NT-based capable of running on standalone personal computers running Windows 95. Focus Software was subsequently named Greentree International in 1997.
Greentree International was named one of information technology world’s “25 Rising Stars” by the MIS Magazine of Australia in 2006. The judging panel is made out of six IT industry stalwarts from various areas of expertise. Greentree Business software was a finalist for the 2010 Software Product of the Year (Client/Business category) for Accountancy Age Awards and in 2012, they were shortlisted again for The British Accountancy Awards Software Product of the Year.
Greentree GAME ON competition
In 2011, the company launched a competition for New Zealand and Australian businesses, under the banner GAME ON. Companies were invited to put a compelling case for winning a Greentree software implementation, including cloud hosting. Winners of the inaugural competition were hospitality and accommodation provider Kimberley Group (Australia) business and bathroom furniture manufacturer Smail & Co (New Zealand). In 2012, GAME ON was run in the UK, and won by charity organisation Concern Universal.
Greentree is written in JADE which allows its implementers to write complex customised add-ons without causing any interference to the core product. It also allows customisations to stay synched and also provides continuous incremental upgrades.
Greentree is able to operate in the cloud, on local servers, or a combination of both.
- Van Wynk, Louis (8 July 2005). "Partners at root of Greentree success". ResellerNews.
- "Greentree readies for growth spurt". Stuff.co.nz (Fairfax NZ News). 30 July 2007.
- Wood, Richard (12 November 2012). "Greentree gamble starting to pay off". The New Zealand Herald.
- "Finance & Accounting Software Guide". CFO Financial Review: 64. 2010.
- "Strategic 100 - New Zealand 25". Managing Information Strategies: 32. May 2006.
- Gifford, Adam (30 November 1999). "Greentree gains from switch to Jade". The New Zealand Herald.
- "Greentree a new goer for Australasia". Computerworld. 9 March 1998.
- "Top software firm moves to Greenlane". Auckland Star. 27 August 1986.
- "NZ computer product star in Australia". Auckland Star. 27 August 1986.
- "NZ Package gets top prize". The New Zealand Herald. 10 June 1986.
- Howarth, Brad (14 April 1998). "NZ Developer focuses on its platinum buy". The Australian.
- Gifford, Adam (March 1998). "Focus picks Jade for new financial package". The New Zealand Herald.
- "Certificate of Incorporation". Registrar of Companies. 29 June 1999.
- Hembry, Owen (31 January 2006). "Rising star status helps company branch out". The New Zealand Herald.
- "MIS strategic 100 Judging Panel". MIS Strategic 100 (Annual Edition). 2005.
- "UK Software Package of the Year". Greentree Newsletter December 2010. Greentree International.
- "The Shortlist 2012". The British Accountancy Awards 2012. AccountancyAge.
- Schratz, Allie (13 November 2011). "SMEs compete for $250k software package". Australia Business Review.
- Schratz, Allie (7 December 2011). "Greentree Game On winners announced". Australia Business Review.
- "Greentree GAME ON winner announced". Scoop Independent News. 7 December 2011.
- Power, Rachael (28 November 2012). "Charity wins Greentree's £150k software overhaul". AccountingWeb.
- Gifford, Adam (30 September 2004). "Get it right from the start". The New Zealand Herald.
- O'Neill, Rob (20 October 2009). "Greentree unveils BPM offering, targets mobility". Computerworld.
- Campbell, Duncan. "Forecast: Partly Cloudy". iStart (Quarter One 2012).