Greenvale, New York
Greenvale, New York
|County||Nassau County, New York|
|• Total||0.7 km2 (0.3 sq mi)|
|• Land||0.7 km2 (0.3 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.0 km2 (0.0 sq mi)|
|Elevation||57 m (187 ft)|
|• Density||3,349.2/km2 (8,674.4/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0951769|
Greenvale is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) in Nassau County, New York, United States, on the North Shore of Long Island. As of the 2010 census, the CDP population was 1,094. It is part of both the Roslyn and North Shore School Districts.
Located between Roslyn and Brookville, the Greenvale LIRR station is known as the Long Island Rail Road stop for the C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University and the New York Institute of Technology. While LIU Post is located to the east in Brookville, it uses the Greenvale postal code (11548). Until 1866 the community was originally known as "Cedar Swamp", and later known as "Bull's Head", until some point in the early 20th Century.
While much of the hamlet predates the Second World War, the 1940s and 1950s saw the development of the area adjacent to the Roslyn Cemetery and the LIRR tracks (including Park Avenue and Wellington Road).
Greenvale is also the site of the historic Roslyn East Gate Toll House, a former toll house for the former North Hempstead Turnpike, which has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since August 16, 1977.
Greenvale is located at (40.813187, -73.625618).
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,231 people, 362 households, and 254 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 8,674.4 per square mile (3,313.1/km2). There were 372 housing units at an average density of 1,446.4/sq mi (552.4/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 66.11% Euro American, 12.73% Black, 0.36% Native American, 10.49% Asian, 0.13% Pacific Islander, 7.08% from other races, and 3.09% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 13.09% of the population.
There were 362 households, out of which 32.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.8% were married couples living together, 8.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.8% were non-families. 24.6% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 10.0% under the age of 18, 55.4% from 18 to 24, 16.8% from 25 to 44, 11.7% from 45 to 64, and 6.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 22 years. For every 100 females, there were 79.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 77.1 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $59,500, and the median income for a family was $80,292. Males had a median income of $52,639 versus $30,000 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $22,009. About 4.3% of families and 4.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under the age of eighteen or sixty-five or over.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "School District Boundary GIS Files". nces.ed.gov. Retrieved 2020-08-10.
- "Directions to Long Island Campus | Long Island | NYIT". www.nyit.edu. Retrieved 2020-08-10.
- "ZIP Code 11548 Map, Demographics, More for Greenvale, NY". www.unitedstateszipcodes.org. Retrieved 2020-08-10.
- Historic Map of the Greater Roslyn Area. Roslyn Local History Collection. The Bryant Library.
- "Nassau County LRV Viewer". lrv.nassaucountyny.gov. Retrieved 2020-08-10.
- "Welcome to 20/20 Perfect Vision Land Records I2". i2f.uslandrecords.com. Retrieved 2020-08-10.
Section 20, Block N, etc.
- Nassau County aerial photos. 1926. County of Nassau.
- Nassau County aerial photos. 1950. County of Nassau.
- "East Toll Gate House | Projects | Roslyn Landmark Society". prelaunch.roslynlandmarks.org. Retrieved 2020-08-10.
- Roslyn Landmark Society 1983 23rd Annual House Tour Guide (PDF). Roslyn Landmark Society. 1983. pp. 60–66.
- Russell, Ellen; Russell, Sargent (2009). Roslyn. Images of America. Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7385-6505-7. LCCN 2008942609.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Town of North Hempstead, Official Map" (PDF). Town of North Hempstead. Retrieved 2020-08-09.
- "Town of North Hempstead - About North Hempstead". northhempsteadny.gov. Retrieved 2020-08-10.