|• Total||2.74 sq mi (7.1 km2)|
|• Land||2.72 sq mi (7.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.06 km2)|
|Elevation||256 ft (78 m)|
|• Density||849/sq mi (327/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||214034|
Greenville is a census-designated place (CDP) in New Castle County, Delaware, United States. The population was 2,326 at the 2010 census. The CDP is an affluent bedroom community and a suburb of Wilmington, Delaware. The community is also home to Joe Biden, the President of the United States, and many Du Pont family descendants.
Greenville is located at (39.7790012, -75.5982599).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.74 square miles (7.1 km2), of which 2.72 square miles (7.0 km2) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.052 km2) (0.73%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
At the 2010 census there were 2,326 people, 1,076 households, and 654 families living in the CDP. The population density was 849 people per square mile (327/km2). There were 1,395 housing units at an average density of 509.1 per square mile (196.5/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 85.7% White, 4.8% African American, 7.2% Asian, 0.9% from other races, and 1.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.4%.
Of the 1,076 households 24.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.3% were married couples living together, 5.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 1.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.2% were non-families. 34.5% of households were one person and 12.6% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.16 and the average family size was 2.79.
The age distribution was 21.1% under the age of 18, 3.7% from 18 to 24, 22.5% from 25 to 44, 28.8% from 45 to 64, and 24.0% 65 or older. The median age was 46.6 years. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
According to the American Community Survey, the median household income was in the CDP is $133,864, and the median family income is $159,632. The per capita income for the CDP was $109,521. None of the families and 2.5% of the population are living below the poverty line.
Points of interest
- John Carney Agricultural Complex
- Alexis I. duPont High School
- Hagley Museum and Library
- Henry Francis DuPont Winterthur Museum
- Holladay-Harrington House
- Mt. Cuba Center
- Wilmington Country Club
- St. Joseph's on the Brandywine
- Walnut Green School
- Fieldstone Golf club
- Harry Anderson professional baseball player
- Jill Biden, First Lady of the United States (2021–present)
- Joe Biden, 46th President of the United States (2021–present)
- Alfred I. du Pont, businessman and philanthropist
- Eleuthère Irénée du Pont, chemist and founder of the company which eventually became the E.I. du Pont de Nemours Company
- Francis Irénée du Pont, industrialist
- Henry A. du Pont, Medal of Honor recipient and Republican United States Senator
- Lammot du Pont Copeland, president of the E.I. du Pont de Nemours Company
- Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours, French-American writer, economist, and politician
- Pierre S. du Pont, IV, Republican Governor and Congressman
- T. Coleman du Pont, president of the E.I. du Pont de Nemours Company and Republican United States Senator
- Ted Kaufman, Democratic United States Senator
- Jim Thompson, businessman and U.S. military intelligence officer, disappeared under mysterious circumstances
- Herman E. Schroeder, DuPont researcher
- "Greenville". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Former Phillies outfielder dies