Historic Bishop-Andrews Hotel
Location in Madison County and the state of Florida
|• Total||1.31 sq mi (3.39 km2)|
|• Land||1.31 sq mi (3.39 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||98 ft (30 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||796|
|• Density||608.56/sq mi (234.95/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0283426|
Greenville is located at (30.467, -83.635).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.4 km2), all land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 837 people, 331 households, and 220 families residing in the town. The population density was 636.9 people per square mile (246.7/km²). There were 394 housing units at an average density of 299.8 per square mile (116.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 27.36% White, 72.04% African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.12% Asian, 0.12% from other races, and 0.24% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.24% of the population.
There were 331 households out of which 33.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 33.8% were married couples living together, 27.5% have a female householder with no husband present, and 33.5% were non-families. 31.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the town, the population was spread out with 31.3% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 24.4% from 25 to 44, 19.0% from 45 to 64, and 18.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 83.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 70.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $20,060, and the median income for a family was $21,484. Males had a median income of $23,750 versus $17,368 for females. The per capita income for the town was $11,128. About 26.4% of families and 32.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 48.5% of those under age 18 and 25.7% of those age 65 or over.
Greenville Elementary School is a part of the District School Board of Madison County. Secondary school students go to the PreK-8 Madison County Central School, which serves Greenville students for middle school, and Madison County High School.
Greenville is best known as being the childhood home of Rhythm and Blues icon Ray Charles. Geno Hayes Hayes linebacker for Florida State University, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Chicago Bears, and Jacksonville Jaguars. Also, home to Chris Thompson, running back for Florida State University, and Washington Redskins.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 7, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Greenville." Suwanee River Regional Library System. Retrieved on April 8, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Greenville, Florida.|
- Town of Greenville
- [permanent dead link] Ray Charles Memorial in Greenville, Florida
- Preservation Magazine's article on the Ray Charles Childhood Home