Greenwood High School (Arkansas)
|American Senior High|
400 East Gary Street
|School board||Greenwood School Board|
|School district||Greenwood School District|
|NCES District ID||0506990|
|Oversight||Arkansas Department of Education (ADE)|
|NCES School ID||050699000424|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.14|
|Education system||ADE Smart Core curriculum|
|Classes offered||Regular, Advanced Placement|
|Hours in school day||8:00AM - 3:05PM|
|Campus type||Town; fringe|
|School color(s)|| Navy blue|
|Athletics conference||6A Central (2012-14)|
|Team name||Greenwood Bulldogs|
|Rival||Alma High School|
|Feeder schools||Greenwood Junior High School|
|Affiliation||Arkansas Activities Association (AAA)|
Greenwood High School is a comprehensive public high school established in 1915 serving the community of Greenwood, Arkansas, United States. Located in Sebastian County and within the Fort Smith metropolitan area, Greenwood High School is the sole high school managed by the Greenwood School District and serves students in grades ten through twelve.
The assumed course of study at Greenwood High School is the Smart Core curriculum developed by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE). Greenwood High School was first accredited by the North Central Association in 1977, followed by accreditation by AdvancED when the NCA unified with AdvancED starting in 2009-10. Students engage in regular and Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and exams to obtain at least 22 units before graduation. Exceptional students have been recognized as National Merit Finalists and participated in Arkansas Governor's School.
Awards and recognition
In 2012, Greenwood School District and its high school were recognized in the AP District of the Year Awards program in the College Board's 3rd Annual Honor Roll that consisted of 539 U.S. public school districts (6 in Arkansas) that simultaneously achieved increases in access to AP® courses for a broader number of students and improved the rate at which their AP students earned scores of 3 or higher on an AP Exam.
For the 2012–2014 seasons, the Greenwood Bulldogs participate in the state's second largest classification (6A) within the combined 6A/7A Central Conference. Competition is primarily sanctioned by the Arkansas Activities Association with the Bulldogs competing in baseball, basketball (boys/girls), bowling, competitive cheer, cross country, dance, debate, football, golf (boys/girls), soccer (boys and girls), softball, speech, swimming (girls), tennis (boys/girls, track and field, volleyball, and wrestling.
The Bulldogs football team has made 9 appearances in the state finals, winning eight state football championships (2000 AAAA; 2005 AAAAA; 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011 5A; 2012 6A; 2018 6A) and runner-up twice (1996 AAA; 2004 AAAAA). At the close of the 2012 season the football team had the third-longest win streak in state history at 38. With the second perfect season for the Bulldog football team, it marked the 17th consecutive playoff appearance, dating back to 1996.
The school's team roping squad was led by Carter Stallings. He won 55 gold medals and 67 silver buckles for the Bulldogs between 2007 and 2011.
The girls' golf team won four state titles between 2003 and 2010. The boys' bowling team won the 2007 6A state championship, with the girls' bowling team taking the 2009 state title.
The 6A/7A Central Conference consists of:
- Catholic/Mount Saint Mary's
- Fort Smith Northside
- Fort Smith Southside
Clubs and traditions
For those students wishing to join clubs at GHS, the following are available: Future Farmers of America (FFA), Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA), Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA), Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), National Honor Society, Spanish Club, French Club, Mu Alpha Theta (math honor society), and the Beta Club service and honor society.
The following are notable people associated with Greenwood High School. If the person was a Greenwood High School student, the number in parentheses indicates the year of graduation; if the person was a faculty or staff member, that person's title and years of association are included:
- Tyler Wilson (2008)—Football player; starting quarterback for Arkansas Razorbacks; led Greenwood to three consecutive state football titles (2005–07)
- Spencer Harris (2010)- Illinois Fighting Illini football player.
- Drew Morgan (2013)- Football player; starting wide receiver for Arkansas Razorbacks
- "Greenwood School History". Greenwood School District. Retrieved Aug 21, 2012.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Greenwood School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Greenwood High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "GREENWOOD HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "AP District of the Year Awards: 3rd Annual Honor Roll" (PDF). College Board. 14 November 2012.
- "2012-14 AAA Classifications and Conferences" (PDF). Arkansas Activities Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 December 2013. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "School Profile, Greenwood High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved Aug 21, 2012.
- "Arkansas High School Sports Record Book 2012-13" (PDF). Arkansas Activities Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on 31 May 2013. Retrieved 21 August 2012.