Greenwood High School (Kentucky)
|Greenwood High School|
|5065 Scottsville Road
Bowling Green, KY 42104
|Rivals||Bowling Green High School, South Warren High School|
- 14th District Champions 1998, 1999, 2005, 2008, 2013
- 14th District Runner-up 1996, 1997, 2002, 2004, 2006
- 4th Region Champions 2002
- 4th Region Runner-up 1996, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2008
- 2007-2008 Season- The '07-'08 boys' basketball team, led by Mark Lacy and Austin Reed, was very successful with an overall record of 24-11 and a Region 4 Championship at Diddle Arena to earn a trip to the Boys' Sweet Sixteen at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky. The region games were (in order), GHS vs. Franklin-Simpson High School (46-31), GHS vs. Barren County (67-65), GHS vs. Bowling Green High School (57-49). This was the team's second appearance at Rupp Arena; they lost to Paducah Tilghman High School (53-77).
- 1994-1995 Season - The team, led by 1996 KY Mr. Basketball Daymeon Fishback, Jason Lathrem, & Matt Lyons, won the school's first regional championship & first appearance at the KHSAA Sweet 16 Tournament at Rupp Arena but lost to Louisville St. Xavier. The team was coached by the late Larry Cheatham & assisted by Jonathan McDaniel, Jason Couch, & Todd Tolbert.
- 1999- Set a school record for wins in a season with a 7-4 overall record. Hosted school's first ever home playoff game.
- 2007- This tied Greenwood Football's previous most successful season with an overall record of 5-6 and a district record of 3-2 which led to the football team's first District 2 Championship win.
- 2008- The Gator football team matched a school record for wins en route to a 7-5 record, posting a district record of 3-1, good enough for a second consecutive 6A District 2 title. The Gators also won their first playoff game in school history, 27-13 over Louisville Butler.
- 2009- The Gator football team has set several school records this year with the first ever 3rd and 4th round playoff game, most wins with 10 in a season in a 10-3 season so far. The Gators also set a record for first ever undefeated District title at 4-0 en route to 3 consecutive 6A District 2 title. Also a school record of 6-0 versus class 6A teams.
The Lady Gator Softball team has been a very solid program since the school opened, with 11 District 14 championships, 8 Region 4 championships, one time State Runner-up, and back-to-back State Championships. They are the second team in Kentucky's high school softball history to receive back-to-back State Championships.
- 1997- State Runner-Ups
- 2003- 3rd place at State
- 2006- 5th place at State
- 2007- State Champions
- 2008- State Champions
- 2013- State Champions 44-0
Won 7 region titles in 11 years. 2002, 2004–2007, 2009, 2010 under the direction of Holly and Alan Whittinghill. Made state Semi-finals in 2006. Ranked as high as 7th in the state in 2009. 6th in 2010 nine straight district titles.
- Men- 11 time 8th District Champions, 6 time Region 4 Champions, 2 time Sectional Champions, final four appearance, and two time State Runner-Ups(2004 & 2009).
- Women- 8 time 8th District Champions, 5 time Region 4 Champions, 5 time Sub-Sectional Champions, 5 time Sectional Champs, and 5 State Final Four appearances.
Greenwood's Cross Country program is also very successful. Michael Eaton was the state champion in 2004 and 2005 and was Mr. Kentucky and named Gatorade runner of the year. His younger brother Ryan was the 2008 and 2009 state champion and also named Mr. Kentucky and Gatorade runner of the year.
- Tennis. Boys have won 3 straight 4th region titles, 2013, 2014, 2015. Beck Pennington 2011 singles state champion.
- Swimming & Diving
- Dance Team
- Academic Team
- Future Problem Solving (FPS) Team. In 2010 Mallory Clouse won third place individual senior division at the International Future Problem Solving conference in LaCrosse, WI.
Greenwood High School Marching Band
The Greenwood High School Marching Band has been competing since 1990 and has made four State Finals appearances. Year to year they have been successful in their regular season performances and quarterfinal performances. The marching band also serves as a pep band for the football team, performs at halftime during football games, represents Greenwood in community parades, has competed nationally at Bands of America, and represented Kentucky in the World War II Memorial Dedication in Washington, D.C. (2004)
- Cage The Elephant - band
- Daymeon Fishback - former Auburn Tigers basketball player and current sports analyst
- "Greenwood High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 24, 2017.