Greer Barnes (comedian)
Greer Barnes (born 1964) is an American stand-up comedian and actor. He is known for clever wordplay, observational humor, sketch comedy, mimicry, and energetic physical comedy. He has performed in comedy festivals, in commercials, on television and in films. He regularly appears at The Comedy Cellar in New York City’s West Village.
Barnes was born in the South Bronx and grew up on Manhattan's West Side. He has a Jewish stepfather and was bar mitzvahed at thirteen. He was a star athlete in high school, especially in baseball. At 19, he was invited to try out with the San Francisco Giants, but his major league career was thwarted because of an injury when he was eighteen. He went into stand-up comedy and was soon well known in the New York scene. His comic idols were Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy. He has appeared at Catch a Rising Star, Comic Strip Live, The Comedy Cellar, and Carolines on Broadway.
He has performed at the Aspen, Montreal, Melbourne, and Edinburgh Comedy Festivals. Friend and fellow comedian, Dave Chappelle has taken Barnes along as his opening act on international tours. Greer has also performed at the world famous Madison Square Garden numerous times while opening for Louis CK.
Barnes has appeared frequently on TV. He appeared on Late Night with David Letterman in July 1995 and on Late Night with Stephen Colbert in 2017. He has been seen on MTV, BET, HBO, and most other major networks. In February 2009, he wrote and starred in a half-hour special on Comedy Central Presents.
He has been featured in commercials for the National Basketball Association and the National Football League. In 1999 his background in sports led to his feature film debut when he appeared in For Love of the Game, a baseball film starring Kevin Costner.
Barnes currently lives in Brooklyn.
- Late Show with David Letterman
- Chappelle's Show
- In Living Color
- Late Show with Stephen Colbert
- Def Comedy Jam
- Comedy Central Presents
- Last Call with Carson Daly
- Comedy Central's Premium Blend
- The Jim Gaffigan Show
- Red Oaks
- Kevin Can Wait
- I Can’t Follow Greer Barnes By Joe Glasgow, Splitsider website, March 30, 2017
- Stand Up NY: Greer Barnes
- Greer Barnes interview by Ross Ufberg for The Laugh Button
- all american speakers Greer Barnes Biography
- Greer Barnes Speaker Profile Biography
- produced by Matt Lipton
- Our Comics: Greer Barnes LoHudComedy.com
- Dave Chappelle: Live at the Fillmore For What It's Worth
- Greer Barnes Performs on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert March 20, 2017
- Horace and Pete at IMBD