Greg Allen (baseball)
Allen in 2018
|Cleveland Indians – No. 1|
|Born: March 15, 1993|
San Diego, California
|September 1, 2017, for the Cleveland Indians|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Runs batted in||26|
Allen attended Hilltop High School in Chula Vista, California. Allen attended San Diego State University. After playing college baseball for three seasons for the San Diego State Aztecs, the Indians selected him in the sixth round of the 2014 MLB draft.
After signing with Cleveland, Allen was assigned to the Mahoning Valley Scrappers and spent the whole season there, batting .244 with 19 RBIs and thirty stolen bases in 57 games. In 2015, he played for the Lake County Captains where he slashed .273/.368/.382 with seven home runs, 45 RBIs, and 43 stolen bases in 123 games. He also played in three games for the Lynchburg Hillcats at the end of the season. In 2016, Allen played for Lynchburg before he was promoted to the Akron RubberDucks. In 129 total games between the two teams, he batted .295 with seven home runs, 44 RBIs, 45 stolen bases, and an .830 OPS. After the season, the Indians assigned Allen to the Mesa Solar Sox of the Arizona Fall League.
Allen began the 2017 season with Akron. The Indians promoted him to the major leagues on September 1, 2017. In 71 games for Akron prior to his promotion he was batting .264 with two home runs, 24 RBIs, and 21 stolen bases. On September 7, Allen hit his first MLB home run.
Allen began 2018 with the Columbus Clippers. On May 27, 2018, Allen hit his first career walk-off home run against the Astros in the 14th inning. On September 23, 2018, Allen hit a base hit in the bottom of the 11th inning against the Boston Red Sox for the Indians to walk off. Allen ended the season with a .257 batting average and 21 stolen bases.
- Kenney, Kirk. "Former SDSU outfielder Greg Allen shining in minor leagues". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Lake County's Greg Allen a leadoff hitter in the Kenny Lofton mode: Cleveland Indians Class A Report". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Bournival, Brad. "RubberDucks report: Newcomer Greg Allen gives fans a glimpse of the future". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Hoynes, Paul (August 31, 2017). "Francisco Mejia, Greg Allen expected to join Cleveland Indians on Friday when roster expands". cleveland.com. Retrieved September 1, 2017.
- "Greg Allen Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- "Indians' Greg Allen: Hits first career home run in blowout". cbssports.com. CBS. September 8, 2017. Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- "Indians rally for wild, 14-inning, 10-9 win over Astros". Associated Press. May 27, 2018. Retrieved May 28, 2018.
- "Gameday". MLB.com. September 24, 2018. Retrieved September 24, 2018.