Greg Ellis (musician)
Greg Ellis is an American drummer and percussionist, known for his work in film and world music, living in Los Angeles. He has performed and recorded with artists from almost every continent, including Zakir Hussain, Airto, KODO, Mickey Hart’s Planet Drum, Juno Reactor, Billy Idol, Sonu Nigam, Sussan Deyhim, Hamed Nikpay, Bickram Ghosh, Chiwoniso Maraire, Sugizo and many more.
At the start of his career as a touring and session drummer, Ellis discovered hand percussion after reading Mickey Hart’s “Drumming At The Edge Of Magic.” He began collecting percussion instruments during his travels around the world as a touring musician. The instruments and music from these cultures sensitized Ellis to a different form of melody and composition than his Western classical background offered. Ellis started composing music around rhythm.
He eventually formed the music duo Vas and signed with Narada/Virgin in 1997. Vas went on to release four successful and critically acclaimed albums as well as a solo CD ‘Kala Rupa.’ His percussion work in Vas drew the attention of some of the top film composers and Ellis is now a featured performer on over 100 film scores.
As a passionate advocate for the healing and therapeutic aspects of organic sound and rhythm, Ellis co-created RhythmPharm, a space to receive organic rhythm and sound therapy. Through RhythmPharm, he released the 7-CD box set of ‘Rhythm Tonics,’ which are used by both alternative and mainstream health practitioners worldwide. RhythmPharm is also a platform for Ellis to express his deepening concern of the adverse effects electronic rhythm is having on culture and society as a whole.
- Kingdom Come (2001) Fox Searchlight
- What’s The Worst That Could Happen? (2001) MGM
- City Of Ghosts (2003) MGM
- The Matrix: Reloaded (2003) Warner Bros.
- The Matrix: Revolutions (2003) Warner Bros.
- Dawn Of The Dead (2004) Universal Pictures
- The Devil’s Rejects (2005) Lions Gate
- The Dukes Of Hazard (2005) Warner Bros.
- Slither (2006) Universal Pictures
- 300 (2007) Warner Bros. Pictures
- Iron Man (2008) Paramount
- Body Of Lies (2008) De Line Pictures
- The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008) 3 Arts Entertainment
- The Unborn (2009) Rogue Pictures
- Rise Of The Lycans (2009) Lakeshore Entertainment
- Watchmen (2009) Warner Bros. Pictures
- The Way (2010) Icon Productions
- Sucker Punch (2011) Warner Bros. Pictures
- Argo (2012) Warner Bros.
- Enough Said (2013) Fox Searchlight Pictures
- Age Of Extinction (2014) Paramount
- Godzilla (2014) Warner Bros.
- Money Monster (2016) TriStar
- Daddy's Home 2 (2017) Paramount
- Downsizing (2017) Paramount
Television and commercials
- Salem (WGN)
- Samurai Jack (Cartoon Network)
- Manhunt: The Search for the Unabomber (Discovery Channel)
- The Winter Olympics
- Procter & Gamble
- Lee Jeans Co.
- Discovery Channel
- History Channel
- "Greg Ellis". Allmusic. Retrieved 2017-04-23.
- "EastWest's new percussion sample pack". Drummerszone. Retrieved 2017-04-23.
- "Greg Ellis". Modern Drummer Magazine. Retrieved 2017-04-23.
- "SUGIZO GIG 2008 ~RISE TO COSMIC DANCE~". JameWorld. 2007-02-17. Retrieved 2017-04-23.
- "Listening for a Soul Echo: The Vas Interview". RAWA Radio. Retrieved 2017-04-23.