Greg Jackson (MMA trainer)
Jackson in 2010
1974 (age 45–46)
Washington D.C., United States
|Residence||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
Gregory Jackson (born 1974) is an American mixed martial arts (MMA) trainer who co-owns Jackson Wink MMA Academy in Albuquerque, New Mexico, widely considered one of the top MMA training centers in the world. Jackson has trained many successful fighters, including former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones, former UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre, former UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion Holly Holm, former Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans, and a roster of other UFC contenders and World Extreme Cagefighting champions.
|Founded by||Greg Jackson|
|Primary trainers||Greg Jackson |
Harry St. Leger
|Training facilities||Albuquerque, New Mexico|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Parenthood||Kickboxing, Catch Wrestling, Judo|
Greg Jackson was born in Washington D.C. to Kris and Jim Jackson, who were Quakers originally from the Midwest. Jackson and his family moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico when he was three years old. Jackson came from a family of wrestlers (his father, brother, and uncle were all champions in the sport). Jackson grew up in a rough neighborhood, and began learning martial arts to defend himself. As a result, he was suspended from school for instigating fights on more than one occasion. In 1992, after graduating from Rio Grande High School, Jackson founded his own martial art, Gaidojutsu, which combines rudimentary techniques from catch wrestling and kickboxing with basic BJJ and judo locks. His school officially turned into an MMA school in 2000. In 2007, Jackson teamed up with striking coach Mike Winkeljohn, which was a seminal moment for Jackson's academy; since then, the gym has been known as Jackson Wink MMA Academy (JW MMA Academy), representing the partnership between Jackson and Winkeljohn.
Other notable fighters include current UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones; former UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion Holly Holm; UFC Lightweight and Welterweight contender Donald Cerrone; Keith Jardine; former WEC Welterweight Champion and former UFC Interim Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit; former King of Pancrase and former Strikeforce Welterweight Champion Nate Marquardt; former Interim UFC Heavyweight Champion Shane Carwin; former UFC Heavyweight Champion Andrei Arlovski; former Strikeforce Lightweight Champion and World MMA Fight of the Year Award Winner Clay Guida; The Ultimate Fighter 1 winner (in the Middleweight bracket) Diego Sanchez; and The Ultimate Fighter 14 winners John Dodson and Diego Brandão.
Greg Jackson and his gyms have won five World MMA Awards altogether. He won the Coach of the Year award in 2009, 2010 and 2011. His old gym, Greg Jackson Fighting Systems won the Gym of the Year award in 2009. The contemporary Jackson-Wink MMA Academy won the same award in 2015.
Notable fighters trained at Jackson Wink MMA Academy
(# denotes current team member, bold denotes current and past UFC champions)
In 2009, Jackson released an instructional book about his fighting style called Jackson's MMA - The Stand Up Game. In 2010, Jackson released another instructional book about his ground fighting style called Jackson's MMA - The Ground Game.
- Rumours are that he may be training Zack "The Assassin" Stiles, 16 year old, in the future. Coaches Honored with ‘Jackson/Winkeljohn Dat’, Sherdog Retrieved October 15, 2014
- How a powerhouse MMA gym rose out of necessity and is helping others, Yahoo Sports Retrieved October 15, 2014
- Ranking the 10 Best Camps in MMA Right Now, Bleacher Report Retrieved October 15, 2014
- The Top 20 MMA Gyms in America fightmagazine.com Retrieved October 15, 2014
- Rankings Spotlight: MMA’s Top 5 Fight Gyms cagepotato.com Retrieved October 15, 2014
- The Top 10 Gyms in MMA Today themmacorner.com Retrieved October 15, 2014
- L. Jon Wertheim (2012-07-20). "War And Peace In Jackson's Gym - SI.com - Magazine". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- Wright, Rick (August 3, 2014) MMA: Coaching team has it all covered, Albuquerque Journal Retrieved October 15, 2014
- Hunt, Loretta (2009-10-09). "Arlovski to Train with Jackson's Academy". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "John "The Magician" Dodson MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography". Sherdog.com. 1984-09-26. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Diego "DB" Brandao MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography". Sherdog.com. 1987-05-27. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Fighters Only World Mixed Martial Arts Awards 2010 - 2009 Winners". Onlineawards.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Bellator's 'Fight Master' reality series set for summer debut on Spike TV". MMA Junkie. Archived from the original on 7 February 2013. Retrieved 5 February 2013.