Greg Jackson (MMA trainer)
|Founded by||Greg Jackson|
|Primary trainers||Greg Jackson
|Training facilities||Albuquerque, New Mexico|
Greg Jackson (born 1974) is an American mixed martial arts (MMA) trainer who co-owns Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA Academy in Albuquerque, New Mexico, widely considered the top MMA training camp in the world. Jackson has trained many successful fighters, including former UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre, former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans, and former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones.
Jackson was born in Washington D.C. to Kris and Jim Jackson, who were Quakers originally from the Midwest. Jackson and his family moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico when he was three years old. Jackson came from a family of wrestlers (his father, brother, and uncle were all champions in the sport) and he also grew up in a rough neighborhood. Because he needed to learn how to defend himself, Jackson began learning martial arts. While the young Jackson was occasionally passive in fighting, he would also be an aggressor in brawls and was suspended from school on more than one occasion. In 1992, after graduating from Rio Grande High School Jackson founded his own martial art, Gaidojutsu, which combines rudimentary techniques from wrestling and kickboxing with basic judo locks. He then developed his art by adding techniques from other styles such as wrestling, grappling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and kickboxing. His school officially turned into an MMA school in 2000. in 2007 Jackson has teamed up with striking coach Mike Winkeljohn, and since then the gym is known by the name Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA
Other notable fighters include Donald Cerrone; Keith Jardine; former WEC Welterweight Champion and former UFC Interim Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit; former King of Pancrase and former Strikeforce Welterweight Champion Nate Marquardt; former Interim UFC Heavyweight Champion Shane Carwin; former UFC Heavyweight Champion Andrei Arlovski; former Strikeforce Lightweight Champion and World MMA Fight of the Year Award Winner Clay Guida; and TUF 14 winners John Dodson and Diego Brandao.
Greg Jackson has won three World MMA Awards. He won "Best Coach" and "Best Gym" 83% in campionship fights in 2009, and "Coach of the Year" in 2010.
Notable fighters trained at Jackson’s MMA
# denotes current team member
In 2009, Greg released an instructional book about his fighting style called "Jackson's MMA - The Stand Up Game." In 2010, Greg released another instructional book about his ground fighting style called "Jackson's MMA - The Ground Game."
- COACHES HONORED WITH ‘JACKSON/WINKELJOHN DAY’, Sherdog Retrieved October 15, 2014
- How a powerhouse MMA gym rose out of necessity and is helping others, Yahoo Sports Retrieved October 15, 2014
- Ranking the 10 Best Camps in MMA Right Now, Bleacher Report Retrieved October 15, 2014
- The Top 20 MMA Gyms in America fightmagazine.com Retrieved October 15, 2014
- Rankings Spotlight: MMA’s Top 5 Fight Gyms cagepotato.com Retrieved October 15, 2014
- The Top 10 Gyms in MMA Today themmacorner.com Retrieved October 15, 2014
- L. Jon Wertheim (2012-07-20). "War And Peace In Jackson's Gym - SI.com - Magazine". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- Wright, Rick (August 3, 2014) MMA: Coaching team has it all covered, Albuquerque Journal Retrieved October 15, 2014
- Hunt, Loretta (2009-10-09). "Arlovski to Train with Jackson’s Academy". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "John "The Magician" Dodson MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography". Sherdog.com. 1984-09-26. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Diego "DB" Brandao MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography". Sherdog.com. 1987-05-27. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Fighters Only World Mixed Martial Arts Awards 2010 - 2009 Winners". Onlineawards.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Jackson's Mixed Martial Arts: The Stand Up Game: Greg Jackson, Kelly Crigger: 9780981504452: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Jackson's Mixed Martial Arts: The Ground Game: Greg Jackson, Kelly Crigger: 9780982565803: Amazon.com: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- "Bellator's 'Fight Master' reality series set for summer debut on Spike TV". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 5 February 2013.