||This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected to the subject. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
December 10, 1952 |
Long Beach, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Pastor, Harvest Christian Fellowship, Riverside & Irvine, CA|
|Employer||Greg Laurie Ministries|
|Title||Senior Pastor, CEO|
Greg Laurie (born December 10, 1952) is an American Pastor who serves as the senior pastor of Harvest Christian Fellowship in Riverside, California and Harvest Orange County in Irvine, California. He is also an author.
Laurie, who was born in Long Beach, California, became a Christian in 1970 at Newport Harbor High School under the ministry of evangelist Lonnie Frisbee. At the age of 19, under the ministry of Calvary Chapel Pastor Chuck Smith, he was given the opportunity to lead a Bible study of 30 people. The church that formed from this group, Harvest Christian Fellowship, has grown to become one of the largest churches in the United States. In 2013, Harvest Christian Fellowship celebrated its 40th anniversary. The church has another dedicated campus in Irvine as well as three satellite campuses (Woodcrest, Eastvale, and South Corona—all in California) with a congregation of some 15,000 people, and also houses more than 80 ministries.Harvest recently merged with a Church in Maui,Hawaii and that Church is now called Harvest Kumulani.
Laurie holds two honorary doctorates from Biola University and Azusa Pacific University. He serves on the board of directors for the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association In 2013, Laurie served as the Honorary Chairman of the National Day of Prayer Task Force.
Publishing and media
Laurie has written more than 70 books, including The Upside-Down Church (1999, co-authored with David Kopp): this book won a Gold Medallion Book Award in the "Christian ministry' category in 2000. Laurie has written study notes for The New Believer's Bible and The Seeker's Bible. He also wrote the notes for the Start! Bible in the New King James Version, published by Thomas Nelson. Another more recent book is a commentary on the book of Revelation.
His autobiographical documentary film Lost Boy: The Next Chapter has won eight awards at international film festivals in the best documentary category. In 2013, Laurie completed another film, Hope for Hurting Hearts, which features his story of coming through tragedy.
Host of the syndicated radio program A New Beginning, Laurie has appeared on ABC World News Tonight, Fox News, MSNBC, and CNN. He is also a guest commentator at Worldnetdaily.com and appears regularly in a weekly television program called GregLaurie.tv on the Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN).
Laurie is a speaker for public evangelistic events called Harvest Crusades, founded in 1990. They are large-scale evangelistic outreach projects which local churches organize nationally and internationally. It has been estimated that more than 4.7 million people have attended[update] Harvest Crusades in California, Chicago, Seattle, Oregon, Philadelphia, New York, Hawaii, Florida, North Carolina, New Zealand and Australia. In 2012, Harvest Crusades launched Harvest America a nationwide simulcast from one location to about 2,400 venues. In 2016 Harvest America happened at the AT&T stadium in Arlington,Texas.82,000 attended the event.Another 180,000 participated at over 7000 host locations around the country making it one of the largest evangelistic events in American history.
Laurie resides in Newport Beach with his wife, Catherine. The couple had two sons, Christopher, born in 1975 and Jonathan, born in 1986.
Laurie's oldest son, Christopher Laurie, died on July 24, 2008 at age 33 as the result of a freeway collision with a California Department of Transportation sweeper truck. Greg Laurie and his wife have five grandchildren.
- The Seeker's Bible : New Testament : New Living Translation. Wheaton, Ill: Tyndale House Publishers. 2000. ISBN 0-8423-3928-0.
- Every Day with Jesus : First Steps for New Believers. Wheaton, Ill: Tyndale House Publishers. 2004. ISBN 1-4143-0075-1.
- Losers and Winners, Saints and Sinners : How to Finish Strong in the Spiritual Race. New York: Warner Faith. 2005. ISBN 0-446-50015-1.
- Wrestling with God. S.l: Multnomah Pub. 2006. ISBN 1-59052-894-8.
- Let God Change Your Life: How to Know and Follow Jesus. U.K.: David C. Cook. 2011. ISBN 978-1-4347-0207-4.
- Frisbee, Lonnie; Sachs, Roger (2012). Not By Might Nor By Power. Santa Maria, CA: Freedom Publications. pp. 125–126. ISBN 0978543319.
- "Top 100 Largest Churches (2008)". Outreach Magazine 2008. Retrieved 2010-08-03. or "The 2010 Outreach 100 Listings of America's Largest and Fastest-Growing Churches". Outreach Magazine / LifeWay Research. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- christianpost.com.  Greg Laurie, Harvest to Celebrate 40 Years of 'Knowing God and Making Him Known'
- Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. 2006 Annual Report, p. 18
- Evangelical Christian Publishers Association 2000 Gold Medallion Book Awards Winners
- "Oneplace.com". Retrieved 2012-04-10.
- "GregLaurie.tv on TBN". Retrieved 2012-04-10.
- "US pastor to reap NZ crop". stuff.co.nz. 2011. Retrieved 19 June 2011.
- "Greg Laurie Seeks Churches, Venues to Host Harvest America Event". christianpost.com. 2012. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- "Harvest Church - Greg Laurie Biography". Harvest Church. Retrieved November 28, 2015.