|Born||28 May 1962|
Leongatha, Victoria, Australia
|Alma mater||Monash University Melbourne|
|Spouse(s)||Katie O'Neill (m. 1992)|
|Parent(s)||Ray O'Neill (1923–2007), |
Gloria O'Neill (1924–2016)
|Awards||Wealth Executive of Year Nomination (2011)|
Australian Entrepreneur of Year Nomination (2012)
Social Media Power 50 (2013,2014,2015)
Financial Services CEO of Year Winner (2016)
Gregory Kevin (Greg) O'Neill (born 28 May 1962) is an Australian businessman and the current President & CEO of La Trobe Financial, one of Australia's leading bank independent credit specialists. In 2011, O'Neill was nominated by Rainmaker Group as the 2011 Wealth Management Executive of the year. In 2016, O'Neill was the winner of the Financial Services CEO of the Year from CEO Magazine Australia.
O'Neill has worked at La Trobe Financial since 1985 and assumed the position of CEO after a twelve year apprenticeship in May 1997, succeeding his father Mr Ray O'Neill who founded the company in 1952.
Early life, education and personal life
Greg O'Neill, born the youngest of five children, grew up in the Gippsland, Victoria. Siblings include Dr D'arne O'Neill, Carolyn Margaret Fickler B.Nursing, Prof Phillip Raymond O'Neill BA Hons (Melb), M.A.(Melb), PhD (NYU) (dec. July 2013) and Margot O'Neill BA Hons (Melb), Fellowship (Oxf), Senior Investigative Journalist: Lateline ABC, dual Walkley Award Winner, UN Media Peace Award, published author of Blind Conscience (UNSW Press).
O’Neill completed a Bachelor of Economics & Econometrics at Monash University (1982), and in 2000 completed Securities Institute of Australia (SIA) Certificate of "Financial Planning – Principles & Practice".
O’Neill married Catherine (Katie) Allen in 1992; they have five children: Grace, Gina, Brigitte, Robbie & Lucy.
In 1983 O'Neill joined the US based IT Company NCR Limited as an Account Manager. Thereafter he was appointed Trainee company secretary at Security Permanent Building Society in Melbourne then owned by Advance Bank of Australia Limited, before joining La Trobe Financial in 1985.
In 1990 he was appointed, by the then Attorney General Jan Wade, to a government Advisory Committee on housing policy.
During the period 1992 – 2002 O’Neill was a member of the International Committee of the Mortgage Bankers Association of America (MBAA).
1998 saw O’Neill placed on the Finance experts Register at the Australian Institute of Banking and Finance (AIBF).
Chairman (2006–2009) of the Melbourne Tigers Basketball Club Limited when the club appeared in all four finals of the Australian National Basketball League (NBL) winning two National Championships.
And in 2011 he was nominated as the 2011 Wealth Management Executive of the Year by Rainmaker.
2013, 2014 & 2015 recognised by Financial Standard as one of the 50 most influential social media users in finance #gregceo in the FSPOWER50 rankings.
2015 & 2016 London Award recipient for Best Investment Management Company 
2016 Winner of Financial Services CEO of the Year by CEO Magazine Australia 
Chairman (2017 to date) Chairman of the Australian Basketballers' Association. 
Since joining La Trobe Financial (founded by his late father Ray – author of Starting your own business, Job Fever) Greg has overseen a modernisation and corporatisation of the business into one of Australia's most respected independent bank brands. O'Neill was appointed CEO on 31 May 1997.
O'Neill is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (FAICD) and a Senior Fellow (Life) of Financial Services Institute of Australia (Finsia).
La Trobe Financial, established 1952, is a bank independent credit specialist having managed over $12billion of investment mandates, and expanding into the International market after opening offices in Shanghai in 2008 and Hong Kong in 2017.
The company is recognised as a leading innovator in both product and service offerings in the credit markets in Australia. For the last eight consecutive years, La Trobe Financial has been voted Australia's Best Mortgage Fund by Money magazine, and recently Awarded two international Funds Management Awards from IAIR in Hong Kong, and picked up the international award in London for Best Investment Management Company Australia
- "Executive Awards: Australia's best in business revealed". CEO Magazine.
- La Trobe Financial (1 Jan 2012) Website (http://www.latrobefinancial.com.au/).
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2012 Nominations (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9JEPtJ4pKw&list=TLO3J1Om-bnVsC9TPDiNTIj2PLd7bATXv8)
- Deloitte Access Economics – Domestic fixed income assets in Australia 2012 (http://www.latrobefinancial.com.au/documents/common/DAE-ASF_161012.pdf)
- Financial Standard FSPOWER50 (http://www.financialstandard.com.au/news/view/55956939
- IFM London Award 2015 (view video)
- 2016 CEO Magazine Executive Awards – Winner (http://www.theceomagazine.com/press/2016-executive-of-the-year-awards-finalists-announced/#financial)
- "The Board". Australia Basketball Association.
- Raymond O'Neill (1 Jan 2002) "Job Fever" ISBN 0-9585172-0-7 (http://www.jobfever.com.au)
- Victorian Innovation in Fund Management Awards 2011 (20 April 2011) "Melbourne Financial Services Symposium" (http://australiancentre.com.au/acfs-announces-finalists-for-the-2011-melbourne-financial-services-symposium-victorian-innovation-in-funds-management-award/)
- Money Magazine (December 2011) "Best Mortgage fund Award" (http://latrobefinancial.com.au/File/Pdf?fileDataId=089c26cb-2d0a-4ed1-9a8d-6cd9f32316b1)
- International Finance Magazine Awards "Best Investment Management Company – Australia" (http://www.internationalfinancemagazine.com/awards/winners)
- La Trobe Financial (1 Jan 2012) Website http://www.latrobefinancial.com.au
- Barrie Dunstan (9 Nov 2011) "A safe as houses Manager", Australian Financial Review (p36). View as pdf
- Alison Beverage (14 March 2011) "The House that La Trobe Built", Financial Standard (p32). http://latrobefinancial.com.au/File/Pdf?fileDataId=42fdb10b-0b50-42ec-b321-4690b54f3660
- Alan Kohler (27 Feb 2005) "Low Doc Home Loans", Inside Business ABC-TV. http://www.abc.net.au/insidebusiness/content/2005/s1312015.htm
- Kate Harvey (17 May 2001) "ASIC appoints Responsible entity", The Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC). http://asic.gov.au/about-asic/media-centre/find-a-media-release/2001-releases/01156-asic-obtains-court-orders-appointing-temporary-responsible-entity-to-mortgage-scheme/
- Dom Stammer (16 Nov 2011) "Safe as houses: values built on solid foundations", The Australian. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/wealth/safe-as-houses-values-built-on-solid-foundations/story-e6frgac6-1226191624417
- (2 Nov 2015) "The importance of Asian trade agreements", Financial Standard. http://latrobefinancial.com.au/File/Pdf?fileDataId=c98506b7-646b-4ff7-b754-704ba8ce2f8d