Prince was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. After graduating as valedictorian from Dixie College (St. George, Utah), he served a two-year mission in Brazil for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) at age 19. Upon returning to the United States in 1969, Prince attended graduate school at the University of California, Los Angeles, receiving a D.D.S. (valedictorian) in 1973 and a Ph.D in pathology in 1975. In 1975 he and his wife, JaLynn Rasmussen, moved to Washington D.C., for a post-doctoral fellowship at the National Institutes of Health. After spending more than a decade at NIH and Johns Hopkins University, he co-founded Virion Systems, Inc. (VSI), a biotechnology company focused on the prevention and treatment of pediatric infectious diseases. Building on discoveries that Prince made as a doctoral student, VSI pioneered the prevention of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) disease in high-risk infants through the use of monoclonal antibody. (RSV is the primary cause of infant pneumonia throughout the world.) VSI's technologies were licensed to MedImmune, Inc., and the collaborative efforts of the two companies and other partners resulted in the approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration of Synagis, a drug that is currently given to approximately a quarter-million high-risk infants throughout the world each year. Prince currently serves as president and CEO of VSI.
In 2009, Prince and his wife established the Madison House Autism Foundation, named after their youngest son who is autistic, for the purpose of addressing the perplexing issues facing adults with autism, along with those facing family members, caregivers and society at large. Prince serves as board chairman of the foundation.
Prince serves on the boards of several non-profit institutions including the National Advisory Council, Dixie State University; the National Advisory Board, J. W. Marriott Library, University of Utah; the National Presidential Advisory Board, Utah Valley University; and the National Advisory Council, University of Utah School of Dentistry.
In recognition of his lifetime achievements, Prince was inducted into the Dixie State College Hall of Fame in 1999, and in 2012 was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Humanities by the same institution. In 2013 he was named Alumnus of the Year of the UCLA School of Dentistry, and in 2017 he was given the Distinguished Service Award by Utah State University.
Prince is the author of over 150 scientific publications in the field of infectious diseases, the majority dealing with RSV. He has also published several articles on religious history and theology, as well as four books in the same field: Having Authority: The Origins and Development of Priesthood During the Ministry of Joseph Smith (1993); Power from On High: The Development of Mormon Priesthood (1995); David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism (2005), co-authored with William Robert Wright; and Leonard Arrington and the Writing of Mormon History (2016). The McKay book was the recipient of four prestigious awards.
The following is a partial list of published scientific articles in which Prince was a lead author:
- Narayanasamy Elango; Gregory A. Prince; Brian R. Murphy; Sundararajan Venkatesan; Robert M. Chanock; Bernard Moss (March 15, 1986). "Resistance to Human Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Infection Induced by Immunization of Cotton Rats with a Recombinant Vaccinia Virus Expressing the RSV G Glycoprotein". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 83 (6): 1906–1910. doi:10.1073/pnas.83.6.1906.
- Val G. Hemming; Gregory A. Prince (May–June 1990). "Immunoprophylaxis of Infections with Respiratory Syncytial Virus: Observations and Hypothesis [with Discussion]". Reviews of Infectious Diseases. 83 (6): S470–S475.
- Gregory A. Prince; David D. Porter (1996). "Treatment of Parainfluenza Virus Type 3 Bronchiolitis and Pneumonia in a Cotton Rat Model Using Topical Antibody and Glucocorticosteroid". The Journal of Infectious Diseases. 173 (3): 598–608. doi:10.1093/infdis/173.3.598. PMID 8627023.
- Linda G. Byrd; Gregory A. Prince (December 1997). "Animal Models of Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection". Clinical Infectious Diseases. 25 (6): 1363–68. doi:10.1086/516152.
- Raymond J. Langley; Gregory A. Prince; Harold S. Ginsberg (November 24, 1998). "HIV Type-1 Infection of the Cotton Rat (Sigmodon fulviventer and S. hispidus)". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 95 (24): 14355–14360. doi:10.1073/pnas.95.24.14355. PMC . PMID 9826704.
- Gregory A. Prince; Jean-Paul Prieels; Moncef Slaoui; David D. Porter (1999). "Pulmonary Lesions in Primary Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection, Reinfection, and Vaccine-Enhanced Disease in the Cotton Rat (Sigmodon hispidus)". Laboratory Investigation. United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (11): 1385.
- Gregory A. Prince; Amy Mathews; Spencer J. Curtis; David D. Porter (2000). "Treatment of Respiratory Syncytial Virus Bronchiolitis and Pneumonia in a Cotton Rat Model with Systemically Administered Monoclonal Antibody (Palivizumab) and Glucocorticosteroid". The Journal of Infectious Diseases (5): 1326.
- Gregory A. Prince; Carine Capiau; Marguerite Deschamps; Luc Fabry; Nathalie Garcon; Dirk Gheysen; Jean-Paul Prieels; Georges Thiry; Omer Van Opstal; David D. Porter (2000). "VACCINES AND ANTIVIRAL AGENTS - Efficacy and Safety Studies of a Recombinant Chimeric Respiratory Syncytial Virus FG Glycoprotein Vaccine in Cotton Rats". Journal of Virology (22): 10287.
- Gregory A. Prince; Amy Mathews; Spencer J. Curtis; David D. Porter (2001). "CORRESPONDENCE - Reply - Neutralizing Antiviral Antibodies Reduce Hematogenic Viral Spread but Not Antiviral Cytotoxic T Cell Induction and Subsequent Immunopathology". The Journal of Infectious Diseases (9): 1426.
- Gregory A. Prince; Martin G. Ottolini; Anne Moscona (2001). "PATHOGENESIS AND IMMUNITY - Contribution of the Human Parainfluenza Virus Type 3 HN-Receptor Interaction to Pathogenesis In Vivo". Journal of Virology (24): 12446.
- L. Patterson; Gregory A. Prince; Ersell Richardson; W. Alvord; Narender Kalyan; Marjorie Robert-Guroff (2002). "Insertion of HIV-1 Genes into Ad4ΔE3 Vector Abrogates Increased Pathogenesis in Cotton Rats Due to E3 Deletion". Virology. 292 (1): 107–13. doi:10.1006/viro.2001.1248.
- Stefan Niewiesk; Gregory A. Prince (2002). "Diversifying animal models: the use of hispid cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus) in infectious diseases". Laboratory Animals. Royal Society of Medicine Press. 36 (4): 357–72. doi:10.1258/002367702320389026. PMID 12396279.
- Gregory A. Prince; James J. Mond; David D. Porter; Kevin C. Yim; Steve J. Lan; Dennis M. Klinman (2003). "VACCINES AND ANTIVIRAL AGENTS - Immunoprotective Activity and Safety of a Respiratory Syncytial Virus Vaccine: Mucosal Delivery of Fusion Glycoprotein with a CpG Oligodeoxynucleotide Adjuvant". Journal of Virology (24): 13156.
- Maryna C. Eichelberger; Gregory A. Prince; Martin G. Ottolini (2004). "Influenza-induced tachypnea is prevented in immune cotton rats, but cannot be treated with an anti-inflammatory steroid or a neuraminidase inhibitor". Virology. 322 (2): 300–7. doi:10.1016/j.virol.2004.01.032. PMID 15110527.
- Marie-Ève Hamelin; Gregory A. Prince; Guy Boivin (2006). "Effect of Ribavirin and Glucocorticoid Treatment in a Mouse Model of Human Metapneumovirus Infection". Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 50 (2): 774–7. doi:10.1128/AAC.50.2.774-777.2006. PMC . PMID 16436743.
- Marie-Ève Hamelin; Gregory A. Prince; Ana M. Gomez; Richard Kinkead; Guy Boivin (2006). "Human Metapneumovirus Infection Induces Long-Term Pulmonary Inflammation Associated with Airway Obstruction and Hyperresponsiveness in Mice". The Journal of Infectious Diseases (12): 1634.
- Marina S. Boukhvalova; Gregory A. Prince; Jorge C. G. Blanco (2007). "Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infects and Abortively Replicates in the Lungs in Spite of Preexisting Immunity". Journal of Virology. 81 (17): 9443–50. doi:10.1128/JVI.00102-07. PMC . PMID 17596309.
- Marina S. Boukhvalova; Gregory A. Prince; Jorge C. G. Blanco (2009). "The cotton rat model of respiratory viral infections". Biologicals: Journal of the International Association of Biological Standardization. Academic Press. 37 (3): 152. doi:10.1016/j.biologicals.2009.02.017.
The following is a list of Prince's books and articles relating to Mormonism.
- "A Bibliography of Mormon Reprints". Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought. 11 (3): 120–23. Autumn 1978.
- Having Authority: The Origins and Development of Priesthood during the Ministry of Joseph Smith. John Whitmer Historical Association Monograph Series. Independence, Missouri: Independence Press. 1993. ISBN 0-8309-0635-5.
- Power from on High: The Development of Mormon Priesthood. Salt Lake City: Signature Books. 1995. ISBN 1-56085-071-X.
- "Paradigm Lost" (PDF). Sunstone. 18 (3): 79–83. December 1995.
- "David O. McKay and the `Twin Sisters': Free Agency and Tolerance". Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought. 33 (4): 1–13. Winter 2000.
- "David O. McKay and Blacks: Building the Foundation for the 1978 Revelation". Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought. 35 (1): 145–53. Spring 2002.
- "[Review of] D. Michael Quinn. Elder Statesman: A Biography of J. Reuben Clark.". Journal of Mormon History. 28 (2): 174–80. Fall 2002.
- "The Red Peril, the Candy Maker, and the Apostle: David O. McKay's Confrontation with Communism". Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought. 37 (2): 37–94. Summer 2004.
- "[Review of] Kahlile B. Mehr. Mormon Missionaries Enter Eastern Europe.". Journal of Mormon History. 30 (2): 263–69. Fall 2004.
- David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press. 2005. ISBN 0-87480-822-7. Coauthored with Wm. Robert Wright.
- "A Turbulent Coexistence: Duane Hunt, David O. McKay, and a Quarter-Century of Catholic-Mormon Relations". Journal of Mormon History. 31 (1): 142–63. Spring 2005.
- "'Let the Truth Heal': The Making of Nobody Knows: The Untold Story of Black Mormons". Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought. 42 (3): 74–128. Fall 2009.
- "A Failure of Moral Imagination: Guantanamo, Torture, the Constitution, and Mormons- An Interview with Brent N. Rushforth". Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought. 42 (4): 69–98. Winter 2009.
- "[Review of] Gary Topping. Leonard J. Arrington: A Historian's Life.". Western Historical Quarterly. 41 (1): 102–03. Spring 2010. doi:10.2307/westhistquar.41.1.0102.
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- The Gregory A. Prince Papers at the J. Willard Marriott Library Special Collections, University of Utah
- Works by or about Gregory Prince in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Interview with Prince on the Mormon Stories podcast
- Article on Prince's wife winning the 1999 National Mother of Young Children by American Mothers Inc.
- Prince's biography from the Dixie Forum at Dixie State College
- Prince's March 2010 presentations at Utah State University about David O. McKay
- Prince's biography from Dixie State College's 1999 Science and Technology Hall of Fame