Scruggs with the Seattle Seahawks in 2012
|No. 83 New England Patriots|
|Date of birth:||August 17, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Cincinnati, Ohio|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||277 lb (126 kg)|
|High school:||Cincinnati (OH) St. Xavier|
|NFL Draft:||2012 / Round: 7 / Pick: 232|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2015|
|Player stats at PFR|
Greg Scruggs (born August 17, 1990) is an American football tight end for the New England Patriots of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the seventh round of the 2012 NFL Draft. He played college football at Louisville.
Scruggs was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, and lived in the city's Winton Terrace housing project before joining the local Boys Hope Girls Hope residential program in 2003. As a student at St. Xavier High School in Cincinnati, he lived in the Boys Hope House on campus. After playing the quad drums in the school marching band for three years and varsity basketball for two, he reluctantly joined the football team his senior year, at the behest of head coach Steve Specht. Scruggs graduated in 2008.
Scruggs was selected as the 25th pick in the 7th round, 232nd overall, in the 2012 NFL Draft by the Seattle Seahawks. NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks stated that Scruggs is a competitive defensive end with toughness and will have to battle for a backup spot on the Seahawks' roster. On August 27, 2013, the Seahawks placed Scruggs on the reserve/physically unable to perform list. The Seahawks announced on August 31, 2015 they waived Scruggs, making him a free agent.
New England Patriots
On October 1, 2016, Scruggs was signed by the New England Patriots. He was placed on injured reserve on October 15, 2016 with a knee injury after being inactive for the first two games he was on the Patriots roster. Scruggs would not play when the Patriots won Super Bowl LI. The Patriots trailed 28-3 in the third quarter, but rallied all the way back to win the game 34-28 against the Atlanta Falcons which featured the first overtime game in Super Bowl history and the largest comeback in the Super Bowl.
Scruggs submitted the winning nomination of his high school coach, Steve Specht, for the 2013 Don Shula NFL High School Coach of the Year Award.
- Curnutte, Mark (2012-05-31). "Students trade the streets for opportunity". The Cincinnati Enquirer. Gannett Company. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
Greg Scruggs grew up in the Winton Terrace public housing project and, as early as fourth grade, felt the strong pull of the streets.
- Day, Hayley (April 26, 2012). "BHGH Cincinnati Graduate, Greg Scruggs, is slated to be recruited in 2012 NFL Draft". Boys Hope Girls Hope of Cincinnati. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- Brown, C. L. "U of L's Greg Scruggs learns to march to the beat of success". The Courier-Journal. Louisville, Kentucky: Gannett Company.
The University of Louisville's sophomore defensive end gained his popularity at Cincinnati St. Xavier High School for being the kid with flair who had the 'quints' drum set strapped to his shoulder.
- "St. Xavier Basketball History". Cincinnati, Ohio: St. Xavier High School. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- Greg Scruggs. "Player Bio: Greg Scruggs - University of Louisville Official Athletic Site". Uoflsports.com. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- "2012 NFL Draft Tracker –". Nfl.com. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- O'Neil, Danny (2012-04-28). "Seventh round (v.2.0): DE Greg Scruggs, Louisville | Seahawks Blog | The Seattle Times". Seattletimes.nwsource.com. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- [dead link]
- "Greg Scruggs Draft Profile –". Nfl.com. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- Blount, Terry (August 27, 2013). "Seattle Seahawks reduce roster to 75". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- Boyle, John. "Seahawks Reduce Roster to 76 Players". Seahawks.com. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- "Lions vs. Bears - Box Score - January 3, 2016 - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2016-02-20.
- Biggs, Brad (May 11, 2016). "Has defensive lineman Greg Scruggs moved to tight end?". ChicagoTribune.com. Retrieved September 4, 2016.
- Mayer, Larry (July 11, 2016). "Scruggs adjusting to other side of ball". ChicagoBears.com. Retrieved September 4, 2016.
- Mayer, Larry. "Bears ink Joique Bell, put Fuller on IR". ChicagoBears.com. Retrieved September 27, 2016.
- "Patriots make a series of transactions". Patriots.com. October 1, 2016.
- "Patriots sign DL Geneo Grisson and DL Anthony Johnson to the 53-man roster; Place LB Jonathan Freeny and TE Greg Scruggs on Injured Reserve". Patriots.com. October 15, 2016.
- Reedy, Joe (2013-01-30). "St. Xavier's Steve Specht is NFL High School Coach of the Year". The Cincinnati Enquirer. Gannett Company. Retrieved 2013-02-01.
On Friday, head coach Steve Specht will be named the Don Shula NFL High School Coach of the Year. ... Specht ... was nominated for the award by rookie Seahawks defensive end Greg Scruggs.
- Daugherty, Paul (2013-01-31). "Doc: Steve Specht, Greg Scruggs show how it should work". The Cincinnati Enquirer. Gannett Company.
- Seattle Seahawks bio
- Chicago Bears bio